E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1990 MB 300E 2.6 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 MB 300E 2.6 Sedan
Red face 1990 MB 300E 2.6 sedan

HELP! Need to know the points(front and rear) to jack this vehicle to install jack stands and jack stand installation locations.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
You should have rubber circles on the frame rails. Jack up there
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 MB 300E 2.6 Sedan
Question 1990 MB 300e Assistance

Thank you air for your quick response. If the pic you posted is your MB, that is a classy ride!!

The reason I ask about the jack points for y mb are many and maybe you can help there alsoor point me in the right direction.

1.) My mb has known 251,712 miles, or at least that is where the odometer is stuck!! Anyway, last week I returned from picking-up my daughter at school, 2 miles round trip, and parked my mb in the driveway as usual. The following morning, as I went to take her to school, the engine would not turnover or attempt to start at all. After hurriedly finding a way to get, and retrieve, my daughter to/from school, I assumed that maybe the battery (new 2 years ago) was dead and recharged the battery. However, the situation did not change at all after recharging the battery-still noth. Lights, door locks-yes but still no engine turnover.

I read many places on-line and in an mb performance manual, that the problem could most likely failure of the P/N safety swithc located, where else, in a difficult to reach place of the transmission housing. Suggestions were made to install a jump starter bypass switch between the starter and the battery positive pole. If the engine started, then the most likely problem is a failure of the P/N safetyswitch. However, I don't want to have to purchase car ramps, jack stands, etc., crawl my semi-fat 67 year old body under a jack stand held vehicle in my garage to reach the starter to make the bypass switch connection or the safety switch.

I have noted that the ignition switch is very very sloppy also and has a tendency to seem to not make contact in all of the key positions.

Now, is there a way to tighten ort check if it is the ignition switch? If so, and it is the switch, how do I go about obtaining a replacement switch and where, especially with the ignition key situation?

2.) Shortly after I obtained this car it seems that the reverse gear failed as the vehicle would no longer back-up. I paid my wife's cousin to replace the transmission with another used transmission and reverse seemed to work for a short time but went right back to the "no reverse" situation unless the vehicle sat for a couple of days and the outside temp was a little cold. Even then though, the vehicle would just barely move in reverse. I have since learned that my wife's cousin DID NOT replace the transmission and I have no idea what he did/did not do. This makes driving very difficult as I have to keep making 'laps around parking lots" until I can locate a "puul through" type of place to park. A friend suggested that the problem may be that the transmission filter needs to be changed since this is a hydraulic (automatic) transmission. I am sure that the transmission filter has never been changed, based on the mileage and what I know of the vehicle history. Once again, before I go to the expense and physical effort to jack the car into the air, what is your opinion. I know that there are no band adjustments that can be made so what, if any are other possibilities?

Really looking forward to answers and suggestions!!!! Need to get my mb running and on the road again!!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Thanks! Yeah, that is my car. Still a long road ahead to get it where it needs to be.

1) Could be the OVP, could be a the Netural Safety Switch, could be the ignition. Honestly, I'm not terribly sure and I'd start with the OVP as it is the cheapest and easiest to pull/replace.
There are many places to check for parts online. I think with the ignition switch you may have to go to the dealer to get the tumbler to match your current keyset. Someone more knowledgeable should be able to say for certain.

2) Well, there is the bowden cable which can be adjusted to change the speed/snappiness of the shifts. However, usually not having reverse indicates a transmission in need of being rebuilt or replaced.

A trans filter/flush might not be a bad thing to try, it should run you less than 120$ at a shop I'd think. However, that could be wasted money if the issue is actually the trans needing a rebuild.

At that mileage, it might be long overdue.

How does the shifter feel? Is there lots of slack or does it seem to click into place nicely? If it feels really loose and sloppy, it might be also that your transmission shift bushings have cracked. I had that issue, made it difficult to get the car to slot into gear.