E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

HPG Part Ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 nissan 200sx s12
HPG Part Ideas?

My names Justin and Ive just recently opened up my own business called
High Point Garage HPG. Im specializing in anything custom, exhaust, suspension, interior piece.

The main reason I started this thread, was to get ideas from you guys on what you want to see built for the w124 chassis. I already have some parts ideas in the works but want to hear your guys input first

What is something you want fabricated for the W124 Chassis?

-Catback exhuast system

-Strut tower bar for front?

-Fender braces to stiffin chassis

-Rear suspension links, toe, camber, etc.

-turbo manifold for diesel

-intercooler piping and intercooler kits

Please, dont be shy. Tell me what you would want made for your car, if it sounds reasonable, possibly be many group buys in the near future.
Cant wait to hear (or read) what everyone wants.

Thanks Justin
High Point Garage HPG

Here is a full head back exhaust I did on my nissan
2.5in 304SS 16g two vbands fully TIG welded

Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
I'd like to see an optimized exhaust system from the block back. Headers, pipes, everything.

Also, front/rear strut braces in aluminum.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:20 AM

1987 nissan 200sx s12
Thanks for the replie. I've defentently wanted to do a full exhaust on a w124 for awhile. What would be your preferred header type? Simple sleak gets the job done, or more of a high rise header in your face type of deal. I would most likely run 2.5in from the header back to a resignator and then into a muffler. Would you perfer a cat less system or and option to have a removable cat. I've been seeing some oval exhaust systems popping up on the market. Think I might incorporate that into the full system? Ill get more detail tomorrow when I'm at my computer. What do you feel a fair price would be, obviously the bigger I can get a group buy, the better prices i can give you guys. Stage 1, 2 and 3 packages may be something to consider. Stage 1 being just a muffler and 3 the full header back system.
Thanks for your input
Justin R
High Point Garage HPG
Old 10-25-2012, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
Hey Justin
Good for you and good luck with your endeavours.
I am down under so no business from me but the most desirable W124 parts are generally in the performance area - coz basically there aren;t any that don;t cost an arm and a leg. Unfortunately the M103/M104 are just not perormance engines unless you talk megabucks for twin turbo's etc.

Exhaust is definitely one area those the tradionalists would "throw stones".
Just for your interest my M103 3.0 has stock manifold through to the 2 pre-cats. But from there it gets funky. My cat had passed away whether internally (there was some rattling going on on odd occasions) but more from grinding over an abnormally high speed hump which scragged the edge and opened a hole in the weld. I have replaced mine with a Magnaflow 3 inch Free Flow cat back into a single pipe and the rear resonator is now a straight through with twin chrome angled tips. (the latter are still not perfect thinking two circular might look better). I have had a very slight performance improement with the cat replacement but the note has improved fantastically. Not too loud at speed with windows up for passengers.

The exhaust manifold could be tidied though careful attention to O2 sensor etc need to be maintained if full MB functionality is required.

What would be nice would be a rebirth of the AMG upgrade to the M103 engine - I don't know if that's in your line of work. AMG took the engine out to 3.2 and there are still odd bits of cam and associated bits available through ebay.
That extra little bit of horses if it could be duplicated as AMG did it might be a seller - if it's not cost prohibitive.

Again at the risk of upsetting the tradionalists I am a bit over the drab engine bay of the M103 particularly that gawd-awful valve cover and enormous black air filter. Unfortunately I detect that not much can be done with the airfilter without disrupting a lot of the necessary MB evils however the valve cover could be stripped and powder coated in something other than black and/or the moulded lines on the cover and MB star left unpainted or painted silver afterwards.

Anyway look forward to your news of developments an parts as they come along.
Cheers

Last edited by stormtigers; 10-25-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
My preferred header type is flow optimized & modeled so that we're getting optimal flow without headers that are so long that the exhaust pulses are losing speed.

If you're willing to do it, I think an exhaust system that has removable cats and resonators could be very, very useful.

Think about it: People who are not worried about noise can swap out cat/res for test pipes, and those of us who want to have a bit more quiet can swap the resonators back in and use high-flow cats, or resonator and test pipe (no cat), or cats and test pipe (no resonator). Modular/configurable seems ideal to me.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by HighPointGarage
Here is a full head back exhaust I did on my nissan
2.5in 304SS 16g two vbands fully TIG welded
Many welds = much time= much cost...

Why not just use a pipe bender to minimize the joints ?

M103-12V dual SS exhaust supplied by TurboTechnics with their TT kit...

Old 10-26-2012, 03:46 PM

1987 nissan 200sx s12
So I have decided to make a full header back system for the w124 chassis. More people I can get interested in this, the quicker I can make a group buy.

Im also making just a muffler replacement if that's all you want, get a little bit more sound and power out of her. I will have that fabbed up before everything else.

For the head I wont be using individual pie cut pieces, that will be using mandrel bends with a few welds throughout the manifold.

To keep costs down Im going to run a single pipe exhaust system after the headers and not dual pipes from the header back

It will have a removable high flow cat that will go into a resignator then to the muffler

Now, would you guys prefer a muffler at the rear bumper with two tips like you pictured, or have the muffler under the car and two longer pipes coming out the rear bumper.

Im ordering a header flange on monday, and all the other flanges and hangers hardware etc..

Just wondering if there's anyone local, here in Portland Or that would possible let me RR the exhaust system on there car, all they would need to purchase is the mufflers, cat and muffler tips. Possible willing to dyno pulls before and after?

Last question for the time being is, what mufflers would you guys like to run, ive been looking a http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...products_id=34 and run dual pipes the rear bumper?

Thanks for all your guys input and information you have given me, I will be working on this over the weekend and hopefully have the full system fabbed up by the middle of next week.

Justin R

High Point Garage HPG
Old 10-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
1995 C36
A rear muffler option for the wagons would be nice as well. I have been contemplating the camaro type of rear muffler option on my car.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM

1987 nissan 200sx s12
Originally Posted by ccrelan
A rear muffler option for the wagons would be nice as well. I have been contemplating the camaro type of rear muffler option on my car.
I will be making an rear muffler setup for the wagons pretty soon, im in the process of moving right now so things are on a little bit on a delayed schedule until get everything moved

Justin R