E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Back again, for help/advice!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 300te wagon
Arrow Back again, for help/advice!!!

So,
I believe its time to replace my rear shocks in my 89 300te wagon, but being a high school student and low on funding, how expensive is this?? can i do the labor my self?? i under stand it is a 5 link and im not 100 percent confident on working on that...and the real question i want to ask is, am i replacing the right items? my problem is the car has severe body roll, but also severely sags, with even one passenger getting into the back of the car! and yes i did search on the search function..but in the end i didn't find any thing comprehensive...sorry to bug all of you again! thanks in advance for the help!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
don't these wagons have the SLS in the rear? It could be the shocks are bad but most likely something wrong with the SLS system as well (spheres have lost their charge etc.)
Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 PM

1990 300 te
Yes, it should have the SLS, self leveling system. Sagging indicates loss of pressure or bad valve in the back. Bad accumulators but otherwise good system would be a very harsh ride but at the correct level. They do not actually have shocks. They are hydraulic cylinders. The shock action is provided by the oil moving in and out of the accumulators. Check the oil tank under the hood. If empty there is quite likely a leak. The return line is on the cap. If you take off the cap you should see oil coming out of the line when the engine is running. If not the pump may be bad. The pump is the rear half of the power steering pump. There are more details but that should get you started on sorting it out. It is a rather fiddly and expensive system to work on. With any luck it will be something easy.

keith
Old 11-20-2012, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Working on the rear suspension is VERY easy, even for a high school student !

Doubtful it is the hydraulic shocks themselves, but it could be them, they are typically long lived if the fluid maint. has been done....but if it is the 'shocks', they are easy to R&R also in the garage with a jack and stands....but new they are very expensive units.

Give us more info... how many miles on the car, as said, is the reservoir under the hood low, any visible leaks, or noises over bumps?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 PM

1990 300 te
Most of it isn't too hard but that valve in the back was a bugger to get in and out.