E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 400E
New here

Hi everybody! i've been a member of other forums so this isnt really new to me. 3 weeks ago i bought a meticulously maintained 93 400e and ive fallen in love with the thing. Before this i drove a 70 plymouth fury which i bought when i was 15. However, some kid made a turn across both my lanes of traffic and managed to total both cars. If youre wondering about the name..its because not even a week after i bought the car, i got pulled over for doing a burnout..whoops. (Cops are getting sneaky)
Now, ive already had the windows tinted and a mild sound system put in (things i cant live without). Im thinking of putting a new muffler on, and getting new wheels and HID's for it. Ive done some research but i want some expert opinions and what better place to come than here? Anyhow, what wheels and lights typically look good on these?I know im going to get the partially smoked tailights to match the windows. Any help and tips would be appreciated!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
Originally Posted by tire_roastin_93
Hi everybody! i've been a member of other forums so this isnt really new to me. 3 weeks ago i bought a meticulously maintained 93 400e and ive fallen in love with the thing. Before this i drove a 70 plymouth fury which i bought when i was 15. However, some kid made a turn across both my lanes of traffic and managed to total both cars. If youre wondering about the name..its because not even a week after i bought the car, i got pulled over for doing a burnout..whoops. (Cops are getting sneaky)
Now, ive already had the windows tinted and a mild sound system put in (things i cant live without). Im thinking of putting a new muffler on, and getting new wheels and HID's for it. Ive done some research but i want some expert opinions and what better place to come than here? Anyhow, what wheels and lights typically look good on these?I know im going to get the partially smoked tailights to match the windows. Any help and tips would be appreciated!
Wheels invariably you will see the AMG Monoblocks mentioned as the most desired fitment. Unless you want to play around I suggest 17's x 7.5" with 235/45 17 tyres. On saying that you can find staggered fitments such as 7.5/8.5 which normally go 225/45/17 up front and 245/40/17 at the rear.

Muffler going to depend on your local laws but with the V8 your better off seeking EXPERT opinion but some free flow cat's (Magnaflow 3 1/2 maybe) would be nice to deepen the note. But make sure they take the O2 sensors into account if the 400 has them. Otherwise you risk screwing with the tuning.

I assume you have checked that the wiring harness has been done if not have it checked before you end up with a huge repair bill to replace them.

With regards to HID's you need to be aware that if you put anything too strong in place you risk setting the car on fire. The reflectors can melt if the replacement bulbs are too strong and hot for the surrounding so look into that before you go ***** nilly replacing them.

Post some photo's and lets have a look at it before you modify so we can play with some ideas maybe and get opinions. Make sure you have a good side on shot so someone can photoshop some wheel suggestion onto your ride !
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM

1993 400E
Yea I read about the amg wheels. And yes the guy who had it before me upgraded the upper and lower wiring harnesses. I'm probably going to go to my exhaust shop and see what they think. Also are there any good suspension upgrades?..I was thinking of lowering it about an inch or so. Thanks for all the info btw!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
welcome! My advice would be to start going through the picture thread at the top of this page (i would start at the end and work backwards, many of the early photos no longer exist). This will give you an idea of all the different ways people have gone with their cars and you can see what you like and what looks good...
Old 12-13-2012, 04:52 PM

1993 400E
Thanks! And I spent all night and the time in between my finals doing that lol. I'm liking the look of the monoblocks the best...and I think I want to lower it a bit when I get the wheels. From what I've read h&r springs with bilstein hd's seem to be the way to go for that
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pewter W211
Welcome to the forum, tint, HID, lowered, and wheels make such a huge difference on how the car looks.

Congrats on the purchase but it sucks for the reason you had to buy it.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM

1993 400E
Thanks! And yea I was depressed for a little haha that plymouth was my baby. I like your pic..If I wouldn't have gotten the Merc I was gonna buy an f-body z28