E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Sportline springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 300e
Sportline springs

Good day, I want to drop my 300e just enough to get rid of the nasty fender gap. I think the H&R's are pretty low for my taste. and Ive red that eibach gives a subtle drop but the springs for our cafr has been discontinued. And the sportlines will give our car a subtle drop. Anybody knows where I can get a hold of a set of sportline springs? my other option is just to cut 1 coil of the stock coil springs, i just dont know if it is a good idea. Any answers will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
try the dealer, i think they may still be able to get them
Old 02-22-2013, 03:49 PM

1991 300e
do u know how much it usually cost?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
not a clue, if the dealer is able to get them they will be able to give you a price too.
the sportlines don't lower the car very dramatically at all, i'm not sure you would really notice it much, so if you're doing it for cosmetic reasons i'm not sure i would pay a lot of money for them.
i would go with H&R, or you could buy a set of new regular springs and find someone who knows what they are doing to cut a coil off. you will hear a lot about how this is not a good idea and it generally is not, your ride may suffer, but if you start off with brand new springs and they are cut properly i think you will be okay. our cars are so d@mn old now they ride nothing like they used to when new. unless you are going to refresh all the bushings etc. in the whole suspension your ride is going to be cr@ppier anyway.
for what it's worth, my front springs are cut brand new OEM springs, it was the only way i could get an even drop because the vogtland springs i got were hopeless in the front. i had planned to buy H&R's at some point and change them out but never got around to it. i don't have any issues with how it rides (i never drive it hard, the benz is just for cruising!)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM

93 300CE Cabriolet, 13 E350 Sport Wagon
MB of Tysons Corner, Vienna VA

They source from whats left of the factory inventory in Germany. Look for my post for getting a full sportline suspension for my cabriolet. The final verdict on the install: way better than stock in rebound, track and body roll. This included all new bushings everywhere so the ride height did not change until the car settled in. Once it did it was a 3/4 inch drop from where my car sat before on original parts from 93.

You will see some conflict in the posts, but after a part number check with Tom Hanson at the Classic Center all of it was validated as factory sportline parts.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moped
If you think the H&R's are too low, you could always get the H&R springs specifically for 400E or 500E.

Since you have a 300e, the springs shouldn't go as low as the 300 spec springs.

Just saying.. since supply on H&R's are always there..