E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

E320 w/fresh service terrible performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320
E320 w/fresh service terrible performance

Hi,
this is my first post in this forum. I have a 1995 E320, 60,245 miles and a very recent (they are reworking it now) 60K service. One of my problems, besides the theft of the radio knobs (long story, will post when it's resolved), is that I demanded and recieved a rental car. Believe me, it's nothing special, Pontiac Grand AM from Enterprise. Now the part that hurts the most, the lowly Grand Am runs circles around my E320.

The car has low miles and I desperatley want to get more performance out of the engine. Do either Mercedes or another source sell after market ignition module?

Don't get me wrong, nothing and I mean nothing drives like a MB. I have tried to own other cars ( Toyota and Acura) but they just don't have the right feel. I am spoiled, I have to have my Mercedes. This morning when I returned the vehicle to the dealership and a Chevy Suburban's pulled out from behind me and cut me off on the on ramp. I had the petal to the floor and it was almost more than I could stand. Any suggestions to provide a permanent fix to my problem (which don't include trading for the new AMG series) would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Jer

1994 E320
I myself have never heard of an aftermarket ignition module. If your engine is running hot because of a poorly-functioning cooling system, the ignition timing will be retarded to prevent knocking. Typically MBs run around 80-87 degrees C. Retarding the ignition timing increases fuel consumption and decreases output power. Also, some people think removing the R16 trimming resistor plug from the EZL control unit will yield better performance. Don't do this; the open circuit will be read as a fault, and the ignition timing will go to full retardation.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:36 PM

1995 E320
Thanks alot for your reply. Any input is appreciated.

I have read the threads concerning the removal of the resistor but was not convinced that it would help.

I am disappointed about the lack of aftermarket modules but at least I know to stop trying.

The dealership did find a faulty voltage regulator so perhaps some of the performance problems will be corrected since they tell me that the regulator is common to several circuits.

In case I was not clear, the air conditioning is running hot.

FYI: I purchased a warranty from Warranty Gold. This air conditioning system has been worked on 3 times since April of this year. All parts (including hose gaskets) were replaced with the expection of the evaporator coil. Today the dealership told me that the evaporator coil was leaking and the Warranty Gold people told me that the time limit for their coverage lapsed on July 8th of this year. They also told me that if the dealership could not correctly diagnose the problem before now then it wasn't their fault and they would not pay for it.

Again, thanks for your input.