E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Hood Pad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 12:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 300E
Hood Pad

My hood pad (the soundproofing on the underside) has degenerated and now hangs like bad drapery when I lift the hood (bonnet). I am strongly tempted to rip the thing out, but I'd rather glue it back on. Any known adhesive equal to the task?
Old 08-27-2003, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
It is glued and I would not ripp it off for several reasons, such as condensate dripping on the engine ect. Just use a type of spray glue to put it back on.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:53 AM

1992 300 E
Hood Pad Replacement

Hood Pad Replacement

Here is how I replaced mine last year with the oem pad from the dealer. I used the 3M super spray adhesive and the MB adhesive. This is key - BE SURE TO COVER THE FENDERS AND ENGINE COMPARTMENT WITH A SHEET UNLESS YOU WANT TO SPEND HOURS GETTING THE OVERSPRAY OFF.

1. Raise hood to full upright position

2. Cover whole front of car/engine compartment with an old sheet

3. Get hard plastic scraper (not metal which will scratch the paint) - the kind of like what they use when stripping finish off furniture ( bought mine at Home Depot). Start scraping - you will see lots of debris from the old hood pad.

4. (optional) See if the supplier has 3M Adhesive and Decal Remover which apparently will not hurt the finish. Soak a shop rag in the stuff and get it all over the remaining gook from the old pad. Don't worry about getting all of the old pad off as it won't. You are looking to get a relative good surface to adhere the new one to. ing from the inside out!

5. Practice a dry fit to see the alignment - an extra set of hands wil help as when you do it for real once the adhesive is applied you need to know where to position the pad the first time.

6. Carefully apply the adhesive. (Stop - this is where they old sheet is critical. You don't want to spend hours getting the adhesive over spray off the fenders and engine compartment under the hood.) I suggest you spray a 4"-6" section across the top (front) of the hood with a corresponding application to the pad in the same area. Let the adhesive set up the prescribed amount of time.

7. Get the pad lined up and stick it on in one corner. Line it up on the other corner and make sure it's in place, then press it down. Now the pad will be hanging curtain-like from the leading edge of the hood.

8. Apply the remaining adhesive to the hood and pad and press it into place after it sets up. I used a hard rubber roller used for laminating (Home Depot) that I like to use to go over all parts of the pad to make sure it's stuck on well. Leave it set ( with hood open) for an hour or so.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Almost a Member!

'89 300E
Thanks very much, guys. Huge help! Probably I'll start with the 3M just to keep it on until I get a new one. What did the dealer charge, BTW?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:03 PM

1992 300 E
Sorry, it was about a year ago and I don't remember only that it was a little more then lets say Performance Products.

Also have someone help you as it is somewhat hard for one person to handle and set it just right as it flops around until you get part of it set.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
Hood pad

Just replace the stupid thing. It's under 50 bucks, and you won't have to deal wil little chunks of foam on the engine anymore.