E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

92 300TE Base electrical quetions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300te Base
92 300TE Base electrical quetions

Hi There. I've been reading the forums for about a week now. So much great information I have already used! I still have a few things that I have yet to locate solutions for.

1) Power seat drivers side. None of the functions work on the driver side seat. I have replaced the switch in the driver side door and still nothing. I also replaced all the fuses and checked all the wire connections that I could find under the seat. I feel like there is no power getting to the switch (have no tested yet, need a new multimeter) Is it possible that a relay somewhere is not working? And what one?

2) Also not working is the telescoping steering wheel, headlight wipers, blower fan, or cruise control. I have not researched these issues yet, as adjusting the seat is a priority right now. I notice some models have a 'convenience" relay. Could this possibly be the issue, and is there a easy way to test this? Again I have replaced ALL of the Euro Fuses in the fuse box as well as the two outside the fuse box and the two in the relay box. The 30A Strip relay looks to be in perfect shape so I left that alone.

The car is pretty damn nice besides these few electrical issues. No rust, runs amazing, windows, moon roof, radio, passenger seat, and everything else seems to be working perfectly. I am 40 years old and this is my first project car, so bare with my newby questions lol.

On a side note, something cool I learned. I replaced the battery the day I bought this car. After doing so none of my power windows worked right. I was going mad checking wires, cleaning switches and such. I called a mechanic friend of mine. He had me disconnect the battery and hold both batter cables together for a few seconds and then hook the battery back up. IT FIXED THE PROBLEM.... MIND BLOWN~ lol

Thanks!!!

Last edited by KrisWatson; 07-01-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:57 AM

85 300SD, 80 280SL, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 91 300E 4Matic, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 87 300TD
Kris, there is a good chance I'll be in Long Lake for at least a week of vacation/working on some projects on my 300TD (passenger airbag retrofit, locking gear selector retrofit, upgraded brake master cylinder and booster, brake fluid flush, AC compressor rebuild and system flush and charge, etc . . .). Once I'm there you're welcome to come by to try working through some of your Gremlins. Paul
Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 AM

1992 300te Base
Originally Posted by pwogaman
Kris, there is a good chance I'll be in Long Lake for at least a week of vacation/working on some projects on my 300TD (passenger airbag retrofit, locking gear selector retrofit, upgraded brake master cylinder and booster, brake fluid flush, AC compressor rebuild and system flush and charge, etc . . .). Once I'm there you're welcome to come by to try working through some of your Gremlins. Paul
Awesome, let me know and thank you. I am a DJ so I work most Saturdays and some Sundays. But pretty flexible besides that.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:24 PM

1992 300te Base
So... I am still here, lol. I have replaced all the fuses even if they were not bad. I also replaced the solid state fuse. Replaced the driver side door switch. Still no function on the driver side seat :-( This morning I tried removing the seat to get a better view of the wiring. I got 3 out of 4 bolts out.... but the rear bolt against the console seems damn near impossible with any sockets or wrenches I have. Is there a trick to getting this one bolt out?

I was able to lift the seat enough to get the Seat memory control unit out. I dont see anything that seems to be burn out or stressed in the circuitry. I am totally stumped on what to do besides hauling off and buying a new control unit, and I hate doing taht if I am not sure that is the issue.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
Kris I'd be measuring the voltages into the control unit and on the output sides to make sure it isreceiving and sending what it needs. Can;t help with specifics but it will help dtermine whether that is the problem.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM

1992 300te Base
Originally Posted by stormtigers
Kris I'd be measuring the voltages into the control unit and on the output sides to make sure it isreceiving and sending what it needs. Can;t help with specifics but it will help dtermine whether that is the problem.
There is 12v, well 11.8 or so, going into the controller. Just tested it. I just went on eBay and ordered a new one. I guess it makes sense that it is bad because my telescoping steering wheel is not working either and after looking at a wiring diagram yesterday I see it is controlled by that same module.

Now onto the next issue... Slowing getting the hang of this. Thank you!!!