E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

engine surges when idling at normal temp.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 AM
OLY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300
engine surges when idling at normal temp.

So my wife's 91 300E starts up & runs fine cold, but when you shut if off & re-start after 10 min. it runs rough/surges at idle. The factory service manual suggests the air flow sensor has occasional open circuit. If that's the problem, I see peachparts offers a air flow metering kit. Is this the same thing? Thanks in advance,OLY
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM
OLY

E300
Follow-up on my idle issue, after closer inspection the idle control valve hoses look old ( one has a visable crack) so I'm starting there. the air flow sensor I mentioned in my first post is the potentiometer. Can I just replace this item (plug & play)or do I need a meter to set it correctly? Electrical is my weak spot, I'm trying the "replace the cheapest thing first" method Thanks, OLY
Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM
OLY

E300
I've got alot to learn, just read a post on KE injection systems & calibrating the "pot" New to MB's, whole different world then what I'm used to working on, 70's big block buicks! Cheers, OLY
Old 07-15-2013, 01:27 AM
OLY

E300
Update for the curious, so I'm kinda throwing darts in the dark on this one, changed the fuel filter, CIS temp sensor & the two lower (the hard ones) idle air hoses today. The car started right up after the fuel system was primed, idled good with a slight variance. Drove great for about 10 min. turned a corner & she just died. Tried to re-start for 15-20 min, no luck. In my neighborhood so I left it,I'll go back after work tomorrow to see if I can get her home. I did notice the cap & rotor had some wear, cleaned up the contacts, planned on picking-up or ordering one. Could this cause the issue I'm having when she gets warmed up? OLY
Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 AM
OLY

E300
So it was the cap & rotor, more the cap because the center contact ( spring loaded pin ) that rides in the rotor was ground to dust on the old cap. I didn't know it was even missing anything until I compared it with a new one. also installed new plugs ( all bosch parts ) runs great!