E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1995 e320 doesn't want to shift correctly, please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
Unhappy 1995 e320 doesn't want to shift correctly, please help!

Hey guys, new to this forum posting, but have used it extensively as a go to for repair help. Anyways, heres my problem.
The other night I drove from work to my girlfriends without a problem. About an hour later I left, and immediately became aware that my transmission did not want to shift properly. It wants to shift at EXTREMELY high rpms or not at all, and it stays in each gear much longer than it should. For example, going around 45 mph now causes my car to be at about 4,000 RPMS. When the problem first started, I could put it in neutral, and shift back to drive and it would shift sometimes. It also wants to randomly downshift causing my RPMS to shoot straight through the roof.
My bowden cable is adjusted to spec, my kickdown switch is working as far as I can tell, and the way this problem happened, I believe it is either electrical or vacuum related but I am unsure. It happens whether hot or cold. If anyone knows anything it'd be great help. Does this sound like a bad modulator or kickdown solenoid? Maybe a bad governor?

I did run my codes
Using the built in code scanner, I got codes 2,4,5,7,21
Using my home made CE light, I got codes 9 on pin 8 and codes 2, and 11 on pin 14. Hopefully this contains a clue. I believe I have a spare fuel relay at home, going to replace it tonight. Please help guys and sorry for the long post.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
86 W124
Check fluid level?