E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1995 E320 Cab performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 Cab performance upgrades

Please take a look at this as I need help and I am finally ready to get his done .. thanks in advance >>>

So I have done research over the past 4-5 years as I have been thinking about this project. this site seems to have been the best. This is what I am trying to accomplish is layman's terms:

But First here is the car condition: 92k miles very clean, I have had replaced the Head Gasket, Motor Mounts, engine wiring harness, water pump. Car has no leaks, since the head Gasket was replaced and runs near perfect as far as I can tell. it's been garage kept since 95

Here's what I don't want as a result of these changes:
  • A super stiff track car that feel every little bump and make me go to the chiropractor .. with that said i do have a 07 BMW 550 sport and the ride on that would be OK but still a little stiff for what I am looking for in this car. That car has only be upgraded to 20 inch Vossen wheels and non run-flat Michelin tires.

Here is what I am trying to get done on the first try
  • Change the feel of the car in the suspension into something pretty tight without all the roll and the ability to change the ride as needed from softer to harder, and increase performance without changes that upset the transmission, computer and engine AND GAS MILEAGE

So based on what I have read in this board as there is allot of data on the subject here is what I have come up with and what I am looking for comment on. Please keep in,ind this car is a 1995 E320 Cab which I understand to be different than the STD E320. Most of these Mods I gleaned from Saijin Naib from New Jersey.. Many thanks

1) H&R Sport Spring (Premium, Performance Street)
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320 Cabriolet
Front and Rear fitment
Ride Height: Moderate Lowering
Avg Low 1.3"F 1.3"R
W/O Self-leveling Suspension Mercedes-Benz cars ride height may vary due to vehicle options and Mercedes Benz factory ride adjustment shims. This original MB part is a rubber shim perch, which is located on the top of the spring. These shims vary in thickness from 8 TO 23mm.
Front and Rear fitment
Ride Height: Moderate Lowering
Avg Low 1.3"F 1.3"R
W/O Self-leveling Suspension Mercedes-Benz cars ride height may vary due to vehicle options and Mercedes Benz factory ride adjustment shims. This original MB part is a rubber shim perch, which is located on the top of the spring. These shims vary in thickness from 8 TO 23mm.

2)Koni Sport Strut (QUESTION, DO I NEED THESE FRONT AND BACK)
Sport Strut (Premium, Performance Street, Autocross/Track)
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320 Cabriolet

Front fitment
Housing: Strut Housing
Externally Adjustable
Front fitment Twin Tube Low Pressure Gas Externally Adjustable McPherson Strut Housing
Price: $224.00 (each)
Manufacturer Part #: 8741-1092SPORT

3) "limo/cabriolet" front sway and matched it with the 500e rear swaybar.
QUESTION: I HAVE LOOKED FOR BOTH OF THESE ITEMS AND CANT SEEM TO FIND THEM... ANY SUGGESTIONS??.

4) Change the rear-end differential to 3.27 gearing and I have read that should come from a 1990 CE?

5) upgrade the airflow maybe...

6) swapout all the suspension bushings and related rubbler to new rubber from the dealer

7) Swap-out the wheels to a 17 inch factory wheel of newer design and then add semi-performance tire to them.. A tire that I can use every day if i wand in rain and normal road conditions. (QUESTION: WILL I HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH THE CAR BEING LOWERED AND THE TIRE AND WHEELS I AM THNKING ABOUT)

well that's all i have and I would greatly appreciate your comments on this:

thanks in-advance

Dan

Last edited by 3hrtour; 10-06-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
300TE, 300CE
The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed.....

Another Option: Install the complete MB factory Sportline suspension.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ds190
Another Option: Install the complete MB factory Sportline suspension.
ok, there is an option that I was not aware of, any comments on that option considering the goal of:..
the concern might be will it work on my 95 e320 cab and will have big enough sway bars

Here's what I don't want as a result of these changes:

A super stiff track car that feel every little bump and make me go to the chiropractor .. with that said i do have a 07 BMW 550 sport and the ride on that would be OK but still a little stiff for what I am looking for in this car. That car has only be upgraded to 20 inch Vossen wheels and non run-flat Michelin tires.

Change the feel of the car in the suspension into something pretty tight without all the roll and the ability to change the ride as needed from softer to harder, and increase performance without changes that upset the transmission, computer and engine AND GAS MILEAGE

Last edited by 3hrtour; 10-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
I'm happy with my Koni Yellow shocks. You can change the valve rate somewhat easily by turning a collar.

I find my H&R Sports to be very stiff and low. You might want to skip them and try another, slightly softer/taller spring. AMGDave had posted a great list of the various Sportline springs which should set you on the right path.
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...ring_specs.pdf

E320 Cab front bar is the thickest OEM front sway that is available. Your rear bar can be replaced by the 500e rear bar for slight increase in thickness.
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...4_swaybars.pdf

I believe the thickest were aftermarket and now are probably almost impossible to find.

I'm very happy with the change in handling of my car after these upgrades and a bit of a suspension overhaul (subframe bushings, etc). Ideally, I'd like to try and tackle a bit more of the body roll with front/rear strut braces, but from what I've been told, it is more placebo than effective on this chassis.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you want to keep compliance in your suspension then you want to avoid going too big with your tire and wheel size. They basically used to use a soft springs/ firm shocks type of suspension (springs hold the car up, shocks prevent wallowy suspension movement like a 60s Cadillac)

Preventing roll is very difficult without going to even harder shocks. Bigger bars are the answer, but they wont eliminate roll completely. Remember, there is a lot of mass at work here.

I like where most of your thinking is. I wouldn't veer from your plan if I was trying to improve my car's dynamics, other than to add the sportline steering box used in the sedan which is slightly quicker than the standard one. MB DID NOT employ the quicker box in the sportline coupes. They used the standard one. I think they did it to prevent oversteer (coupes have a shorter wheelbase, remember.)
Old 10-07-2013, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by 3hrtour

Change the feel of the car in the suspension into something pretty tight without all the roll and the ability to change the ride as needed from softer to harder, and increase performance without changes that upset the transmission, computer and engine AND GAS MILEAGE

Good luck.....

The stock cab suspension more then handles the power of the M104 engine.
Roll or lean can easily be controlled by a lower speed entering the corner....

Best to inspect all your suspension bushings and replace as needed
Old 10-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by RBYCC
Good luck.....

The stock cab suspension more then handles the power of the M104 engine.
Roll or lean can easily be controlled by a lower speed entering the corner....

Best to inspect all your suspension bushings and replace as needed
That sounds interesting and money saving . I guess the reason I am going through this exercise as I have decided to drive the car again and i know i need shocks, tires ... so why not upgrade the parts that will give me a better handling car, right now this car handles pretty much like a small boat and frankly i am nervous that if i needed to drive out of a possible collision or make quick turns I would have a safety issue. I don't mind spending some money on it, but If I am going to do It I want to to do it right.... with in reason... I do plan on have the car inspected for all the rubber bushings and so forth. [I] am not looking to make this car like my 07 BMW 550 sport just something that handle better than factory and much better than it does today...

thank you so much for your comment and I am very interested in hearing back for you and the others

Sincerely

Dan
Old 10-07-2013, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Dan

Bushings in good condition are imperative, if not the suspension including sway bars will move.

I'd go with Bilstein HD struts/shocks, same valving as the Sports but with one inch longer travel. Best to replace the upper mounts at the same time.

As previously posted you already have a thick front sway bar and the stock rear compliments it.

A stock suspension in good condition will not exhibit the handling that you indicate.
With tight bushings, the handling is more then adequate for any street use.

Ed A.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Suspension parts I went forward with on this project

Update on items I bought from Pelican for install
so i went with the:
  • H&R Sport Spring Set, Lowers Front Approx. 1.3 Rear Approx. 1.3
  • Strut - Bilstein Sport,
new steering tie rods and all the bushings and so forth to much to list

I am not going to mess with the rearend but I am going to see what the car looks like when the suspension work is done and then make a decision on wheels and tires.

The Pelican guys are real good, very professional and seem to have their facts straight

I will post a picture when I am done with the project.

Dan

Last edited by 3hrtour; 10-10-2013 at 12:08 PM.