E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Eibach vs H&R Which one provides the nicest ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 E420
Eibach vs H&R Which one provides the nicest ride?

Hello folks, I know that this question might have been asked like a million times before but I am asking it again as I need to change the springs on my car and after reading about 10 different threads in 2 different forums I couldn't really get a straight answer.

A little background: I purchased a 1994 E420 earlier this year and the car has a shady past (a lot of work done to it by a lot of "enthusiasts"). It came with some sort of lowering springs already installed and I cant tell for the love of God what brand they are because they are terribly rusted. To make everything better, the front right corner sags about 3/4 of a inch when compared to the right side, and the front all together sags about 1/2 inch when compared to the rear.

The car is in a desperate need of an alignment as it pulls hard to the right. The person that I will take it to get an alignment from was very nice and honest with me and told me that as long as the car is sagging on one corner more than the other he will not take my money as he will not be able to do a proper alignment.

Now, here comes my question: which springs provide the nicest ride, I do realize none of them will provide that smooth Mercedes-Benz feel but I am sure that either of them will be an improvement over the rusted sagging pieces of .... that are on the car now.

tl;dr 94 e420 bought it with scheiße springs, need replacement in order to get an alignament, which one in H&R vs. Eibach provides the nicest ride?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
try to do a quick search on the board, lots of previous discussions...
both are going to provide a firmer ride over stock and between the two i don't think the difference will be very significant. I think H&R may drop you a little lower though if that makes a difference.
You will need new shocks too it seems, there are numerous choices but my personal suggestion is bilstein sports (if you search the forum you will find a number of discussions on shocks)
eibach are very difficult to find new these days, so you will likely end up with H&R based on that.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:13 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
It does seem to come down to a height versus ride question. The lower you go, the rougher the ride.

I've liked Eibach the most, of non-oem choices.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

95 E320 Sportline/ 86 190E 2.3-16/ 05 C55
I HAVE HAD BOTH EIBACH AND H&R IN MY 87 300E I PREFER H&R IT GIVES A MORE ENJOYABLE RIDE AND DOES NOT REBOUND AS HARSHLY AS I HAVE FOUND WITH THE EIBACH SPRINGS. BUT WHEN YOU REALLY WANT TO DRIVE IT OFFERS MORE STABILITY IN THE CORNERS WITH A SENSE OF THE VEHICLE SO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE PUSHED IT TOO HARD. I HAD ISSUES WITH THE EIBACH SPRINGS THEY DID NOT RETURN AS MUCH FEED BACK AND THE RIDE WAS MUCH HARSHER ALMOST LIKE THE SPRINGS WERE BINDING DURING COMPRESSION. RIDE HEIGHT WAS THE SAME BETWEEN THE SPRINGS I THINK ACTUALLY THE H&R WERE SLIGHTLY LOWER. I STILL RUN THESE SPRINGS IN MY 95 E320 SPORTLINE. I ACUTALLY USED V8 SPRINGS TOO NOT THE 6 CYLINDER STILL A BETTER RIDE THAN THE EIBACH 6CYL. SPRINGS.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM

94 E420
Thanks to everybody for their input, I have put the suspension repair on hold for the time being as I have bumped into some fuel system issues (fuel pump failure or some sort of electrical failure that stops the fuel pump from working ). I think will go with the H&R's as I have got a quote for 305$ for them vs 412$ for Eibach. Possibly even change the shocks with some blistein HD's as I have read good things about them here on the forum!