E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Cooling fan always on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Cooling fan always on

I recently replaced the water pump on my E320 and once I was done with it I started up the car and the cooling fan started spinning. When I was putting in the pump I was messing around with the wire that I outlined in the picture below (black wire behind the water pump and next to the distributor). I stretched it to get it around the pump and I think I might have disconnected something or ripped a wire. So now the car runs but the cooling fan turns on as soon as I start the car and keeps running the whole time. The temperature gauge doesnt work (or maybe it works but the car is always cold because it doesnt move from the minimum) and the check engine light came on. I didnt have any of these problems before I changed the water pump and since I believe I put the pump in correctly the only thing I can suspect is the wire I was messing with. The wire is connected to the black unit on top of the engine and the other end goes somewhere below the engine. Can anyone tell me what the black unit is and what the wire is for? Maybe I disconnected a sensor somewhere and it doesnt show up on the cars computer what the temperature is? Anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Cooling fan always on-mb1-1.jpg   Cooling fan always on-mb2-2.jpg   Cooling fan always on-mb3-3.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,056 Likes on 977 Posts
1999 E300TD
Forget about the shoulda coulda----find out why the CEL is on and that will lead you to solving the fan issue.

Sounds like your coolant temp sensor was/is/maybe disconnected and thats why the fault and the fan always running!!