E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Hi, I'm new here...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 MB E320 and 2003 Lexus IS300
Hi, I'm new here...

...and I just bought a 1994 MB E320. Started off as "well, it's low mileage, it looks like it's in drivable shape, and it'll haul an awful lot of drums around." After changing out the tires and the front suspension parts, it turns out that it needs a little work, but overall, it's in pretty good shape, and with only 135K on the clock, is probably good for another 100K miles if I'm nice to her. So, here's where I start to ask questions of people that know Mercedes way better than I do...

1) she has cold starting issues. It does the following, without fail in the mornings:

a) turn key, engine turns over, dies immediately.
b) turn key, engine turns over, lets me rev it, and it runs.
c) I give it gas, and it either dies or I flutter the pedal and it decides to run
d) I let it sit at idle for 2-3 minutes, and drives fine without issue.

2) It's loud. I don't doubt that it would be reasonable to put a new exhaust on the car from the cat all the way to the muffler. Any suggestions for brands to use/avoid?

3) It's definitely been in an accident. And whoever did the welding work on the frame did a really good job, but the back bumper is a little scratched up and the front bumper needs to be replaced. Again, companies to work with/companies to avoid?

4) This car is slower than I would expect for a midsize sedan with 215hp. Is this the nature of the beast, or should I be looking for something?

Other than that, my brother the mechanic (who hates any car without a bow tie) and my guy that I go to otherwise have both commented that the car is in good shape, especially for its age.

So, what should I be looking for, and any tips on anything special I should know about Mercedes ownership? I owned and helped rebuild a 72 280 SEL in my early 20's, but I figure that car is from a completely different era, so a different set of rules probably apply here...
Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Don't let your brother near the car an disown your friend.

Find an old greaser that understands an MB and add him to your holiday gift list!!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300e, 1985 635csi
What's your 0-60 like? I assume you already know about the automatics first gear start?