E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Are TE wagon 6th and 7th seat really usable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE / 300E / 300CE
Are TE wagon 6th and 7th seat really usable?

I'm considering replacing my Mazda van with a TE. How difficult is it to get into the rear seats through the back? I presume this is designed for small kids. Second question: is this really safe for the passengers facing backwards? Are the head rests in line with the back (middle) seats?
Old 12-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Beautiful Mercedes...duh
Very easy in and out. My 14 and 17 year olds prefer to ride back there.

They seats are more comfortable than they look. They load up easy and retract easily. The belts are good...the head rest is fine.

The only complaint I have heard is that since they are facing backwards, the folks back there kind of feel left out of the conversation going on up front.

Not suited for the car sick type.

I am 5' 11" - 200 pounds, and I thought they fit just fine.

Besides that, this is just one great car

Last edited by Saint; 12-25-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:29 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
How much can you fit in the back once the cargo seats are folded? Do the middle seats fold for longer items? Where's the fuel tank? I know, I need to go look at one...

Not suited for the car sick type.
Sounds like they're good for short trips.

The only complaint I have heard is that since they are facing backwards, they are kind of left out of the conversation going on up front.
That can be a good thing...lol
Old 12-25-2003, 09:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Beautiful Mercedes...duh
Yes, the middle seats fold. I have not actually had to fold them. I have a truck, so whenever I am going for something big, I take that. Looking at the owners manual, the seats have a really neat way folding, that the bottom of the middle seats, go forward to protect the rear of the front seats...at least that what I remember last time I looked.

If the passengers can read while in a moving car, then they will be fine back there. I have taken the kids on a round trip of 90 minutes each way. 4 different kids rode in the back. They all are able to read in a moving car, and they all did fine back there. They all said the seats the seats were comfortable, and they all felt like they had enough room.

You are right about the conversation thing....I have always liked the old addage "Children should be seen and not heard". I hear them enough as it is.....this will give you a bit of a break

The gas cap is on the passenger side...I have not checked where the tank is actually located.

Last edited by Saint; 12-26-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:00 PM

I wouldn't say the rear seats in the TE are only good for short trips. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, when wagons were more popular than they are today, my parents had Volvo wagons. I have a family of 2 brothers and my mom and dad and we would go on short and long vacation trips in the Volvo wagon and would occasionally sit in the 7 and 6th seats with no problems.

If your kids aren't into the unique view, cars, and/or what-not they probably won't like to sit in the far back...let alone go on long trips with the family.

Of course it is safe back there. Mercedes-Benz knew how to make the W124 and they did a fantastic job. Station wagons are generally safer than SUVs or vans. Just take a look at the handling/braking of them.

I got it! Let's say you have kids in the two back seat...well, they might be able to help you see cars in your blind spots and perhaps some crazy driver or car skidding out of control. One more reason that makes wagons better cars than SUVs and vans.

I am pretty sure the headrests of the middle seats line up with the passenger's heads in the 7th seat.