E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New here! om603 idling problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300d
New here! om603 idling problem

Hi all, new here. I purchased an 87 300D turbo about 3 months ago and managed to limp it home on a 15 yr old fuel filter and 1 bolt holding the broken power steering pump together.

After some very much needed TLC (cruise control fixed, oil change, fuel filters, trans fluid added, odometer cable replaced, ac fixed, etc etc) I wanted some more power which is the reason I bought it in the first place. First thing I did was install a 3-in-1 EGT, boost, coolant gauge so I dont nuke it. First thing I noticed was the boost was sitting at about 24 psi with the stock settings, but I didnt think much of it. Oh, and I adjusted the ALDA as soon as I got it.

Now onto why im here.

I took the back of the pump apart (without removing it) and turned the max fuel out about 3.5 turns (just before it runs away) and backed out the idle limit screw all the way (1.75 turns) and adjusted the linkages so I could get full travel of the throttle. I noticed it wants to idle at about 800-900 rpm when out of gear, and itll idle at 500 or so in gear. I read that you can adjust the governor idle spring tension and itll fix that but I think thats only on the MW pump, I have a M.... and the only adjustments I see are max fuel, idle course and idle fine. Any idea on how to remedy my problem? Without turning the fuel down of course.

Oh, and on the way home, I noticed the boost is now at 30psi... After looking around I noticed the wastegate canister hose came undone YEARS ago... ill be reconnecting that asap.

EGT's sit at about 1k under full load for about 5 seconds or more. Never really goes past that.

Pics:

(my old volvo)
Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300d
So, I hooked my wastegate up (the hose rotted off) and now it sits at 14 psi (1 bar) and the egt's haul up past 1400 if I let them. So... I'll be installing a manual boost controller asap along with a emp gauge.