E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Things Wrong With My E-320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E-320
Things Wrong With My E-320

I was wondering if any of you could help with some of the things that have been going wrong with my 1995 E-320 (137k miles). They seem to appear one by one. Anyway here's the list:

1) ASR light turns on sometimes: If the ASR light goes on, I am unable to accelerate but the brakes work. I come to a stop, turn off the engine and restart the car. This seems to "fix" the problem until the next time the ASR light turns on. This has happened to me twice in 1.5 years.

2) Headlight switch does not illuminate when turned on: How do I open the unit to change the bulb? Or could this be a blown fuse?

3) Headlight wipers do not work.

4) CD connection from changer to wire relay is bad: Sound is cut off on one side of the car. If I disconnect the changer from the wire relay and reconnect it, the sound is complete on both sides of the car until I go over bumps then the sound again cuts of on one side.

5) Front passenger headrest is stuck: Motor inside the seat sounds like it is "clicking" but headrest does not move.

6) Front passenger seat warmer switch connection is lose: Sometimes the switch does not illuminate nor does it heat the seat. If I push at an angle, the switch will turn on.

7) After driving for long periods of time with the climate control fan running, the fan starts to make a squeaking noise.

8) Shift from 1st to 2nd gear sometimes abrupt: The shift from 1st to 2nd gear is sometimes not smooth. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Jer

1994 E320
2) To replace the lamp for the headlight switch, pull off the knob and remove the nut behind it with a 24mm socket. Then slide the switch bezel (forget if it's to the left or right) and pull it out. Make sure you get the correct lamp. One of too high a wattage can melt the plastic bezel.

5) For the headrest, there were some recent posts regarding replacing the gears in the seat back. Do a search...

6) To get to the seat warmer switch you need to remove the wood console. There are two Phillips-head screws under the console (over the radio). Remove them and pull the console downwards. Be careful not to break the plastic hooks!

7) Over time the bearings the climate control fan squeal. This seems to be typical. You can replace the fan assembly if you wish.

8) The 722.4 (4-speed auto) transmissions are known to thump. There are two things you can do to make it better...

-Release the accelerator a little bit, just before the shift point.

-Replace the trans fluid, filter, and pan gasket if it hasn't been done recently.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:23 AM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
For problem 8 there is also a vacuum modulator on the trans that controls the quality of shifts, that can also be adjusted.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Jer

1994 E320
Originally posted by zeronero
For problem 8 there is also a vacuum modulator on the trans that controls the quality of shifts, that can also be adjusted.
Make small adjustments. It is very sensitive!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:35 PM

W124
What does it look like?
What does it do?
and...how do you adjust it?

thanks.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:25 PM

Mercedes Benz
Jer is right.. make small adjustments. You can pry off the black plastic cap and pull out the small T-shaped metal piece. Turning it clockwise increases control pressure( firmer shifts ) and counter clockwise decreases it.
It can sometimes be good to increase the pressure slightly, if it takes more than 2-3 seconds to engage R or D, or if the shifts are very smooth. 1/4th of a turn at a time or 2 notches is suitable.
The pressure should be measured and be withing specific limits, though. Canīt remember precisely. Depends on transmission type and modulator version/color.

Regards