E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Door Pockets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e320
Question Door Pockets

I am wondering? for those of you who have MB tex did your front door pockets curl. I am talking about that storage compartment in the doors it seems like the glue didn't hold on either side and it just curled outward? i have seen a bunch of 124's on ebay like this and a couple in lots. What causes this and can i glue it back or should i just buy a new part?
Old 02-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Jer

1994 E320
Same thing happened on mine. Gluing it doesn't help because the lack of material is what causes it to lose adhesion in the first place. Find a reputable upholstery shop that can sew additional MB-Tex onto the lip, then glue that to the door.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:26 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
Mine are doing the same thing, and my car has Leather. All the door panels must use the same material.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:54 PM

2004 e320
yes!! i went to an import auto apolstry shop today and the owner said this to me: "i see this on all of the MB cars and most BMW's, what happens is the leather or text is stretched in the factory and has a memory, thus if you want it fixed go the the dealership and buy the part." I see his point. he said it will look like total **** if he tries to fix it. So i spoke to my parts department and both sides in tex to replace are 178.00 total. i ordered them because i am ****. as for the leather ones! i would hold my breath when the price for thsoe are announced....."cringe"
Old 02-11-2004, 04:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Super Glue Gel and Binder Clips

I used Super Glue (Gel, so it wouldn’t drip) and held the edge in place, over night, with simple black binder clips (from the stationary store). You can get clips in just the right size (not too big and not too small) to clamp around the curve of the lip of the pocket and to apply strong even pressure on the material all along the lip. You just have to be careful not to glue the clips to the material (apply sparingly only on the underside of the material). Also be careful not to tear the material with the clips. You can glue just a couple of spots, like tack welding. Then the next day, do a couple of more spots until you are satisfied with the smooth contour of the lip of the pocket. The Super Glue does harden the edge of the material, but it seems to be impervious to the heat. It stays hard even on very hot days with the windows rolled up. I think the heat is what caused my material to curl in the first place. I was told that the material is heat bonded to the plastic backing and it just pops free over time. Once before, I had an upholstery shop try to fix a sunroof cover and the upholstery glue would always get soft and gooey when the temperatures would rise. What a mess that was. No more upholstery shop glue for me. I use Super Glue. The Super Glue does not soften from the heat, so the material stays put, even though there is very little material to work with at the edge. The glue has been holding strong for four years, highly recommended. I think you can see that I do have a very slight bulge at the lip of the driver's side pocket, but it really looks very good. I am very particular about my car and I am happy with the fix.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:52 AM

2004 e320
you know, i may try that with my car but two problems:
1. leather is much easier to work with then tex-tex is like metal
2. also its winter here in NJ, maybe if i wait until a nice hot summer day here when i can easily bend that stuff
goog post!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:05 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
The part that peels is not leather, as you can see from ksing44 the leather is only in the center of the door panel. Where the pocket is the material is the same no matter what type of interior or year.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:43 PM

2004 e320
oh thanks for the info-i
Old 02-14-2004, 02:06 AM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
search function is a great tool...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=Door+Pockets