E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Brake Light Out - Replace Bulb But Still Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Light Out - Replace Bulb But Still Doesn't Work

Has anyone taken their car to the dealer get this fixed? The "lamp defective" light came one and notice my passanger brake light out. I went to Wal-Mart and found the correct bulb. After replacing it, it still didn't work. My husband swaped the the passenger and driver bulb holders and it worked on the drivers side. It looks like it's a wiring problem with the passenger side.
Anyone else have this problem??
Thanks
Old 02-10-2004, 07:20 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
I can't imagine this being a large problem, could be a relay or fuse. Just go over things to see if it's obvious, if you see nothing then bring it in.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:26 PM

Thanks. I'm also going to take a look at the housing that holds the bulb. After reading more posts I see that the housing gets corroded over time and several people have suggested lightly sanding the metal prongs and gently pushing them out so they have good contact to the bulb.
I will try that and if it still doesn't work - I'll take it to the dealer.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:40 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
Originally posted by '99MBE320
metal prongs and gently pushing them out so they have good contact to the bulb.
That could very well be the problem. I was replacing my front turn signal bulbs and those contacts had to be pushed out a little before the bulb would work. One of those two little things that stick out on the bulb is longer than the other so keep that in mind.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:40 PM

Yep, that did it I removed the bulb out of the socet and lightly sanded the contacts and pushed them out a little more, but when I replaced the socket the brake light still didn't work. I then just twisted the socket in a little tighter....and whaalaa!! it works!!!
So the combination of cleaning the connectors and making sure the socket was twisted in tightly seemed to do the job!

Thanks again for all your help and everyone else on the board with similar problems.