E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

NOOB Alert!!! Couple questions and a hello

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300E, 1989 BMW M3
NOOB Alert!!! Couple questions and a hello

Group,

Im a newbie to this forum, but am a frequent poster on DTMPOWER.NET and Bimmerforums.com

I am a BMW guy who wanted a tank for a daily driver. The car is overall a good car. I have the 3.2 litre motor and about 110K on the car.

The car has a full MB Service record from the PO, and I kept it up with the smaller services while farming the 90K service as side work to my friend who is a Tech at a large MB dealer.

So the car needs ball joints, or lower control arms? Are the ball joints pressed in where they can be replaced or is it just cheaper to replace the whole arm?

The tranny hesitates for several seconds going into reverse, then will catch and jerk the car.

All forward gears shift fine, firm but not overly so (Read a few threads about the adjustments, is that the same for reverse?)

Is there a way to get rid of this hesitation into reverse?

I plan on selling this car within a year. But I need to fix it before the sale.

I need a front bumper in this blue, I cracked the lower air dam part on some ice, anyone have one kicking around for sale in this color so I do not have to worry about paint?
Old 02-11-2004, 11:10 PM

99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
What's up Matt!

I'm surprised that no one has replied to this post yet. You may want to drag this post over to the Tech area, you'll probably get some responces over there.

The ball joints are pressed in and are replaceable, However, depending on where you go to get your servicing done, the cost of replacing the ball joints could be very close to replacing the entire arm. If you do replace the arm's you will also have to do an alignment. If you were to just replace the ball joints you would not have to do an alignment.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:37 PM

1994 E320 Coupe, 1979 500SLC, 2005 E55 - Sold
All the 300E's/E320's Ive driven, including my own, take a few seconds for reverse to engage. I think its quite normal.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:58 AM

1993 300E, 1989 BMW M3
I will check on replacing the entire arms. I will use a supporting vendor for this site to give them an ROI for their sponsorship dollars.

As far as reverse, I guess that is one of the quirks of this car.

Thank you,