E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

What parts bring back solid "as new" ride on 400E?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 400E
What parts bring back solid "as new" ride on 400E?

Hello,

I have a 93 400E and have noticed that I have lost the tight, no rattle under the car ride that I had back in 96 when I bought the car with 44k miles on it.
I now have 158k miles and would like to know if there are some bushing or suspension parts that could be replaced to make the car ride better.

I will give you an example of the feel. I drove a 2001 BMW 330Ci with 64k miles on it and it felt so solid and quiet over bumps. Now this car had 17" wheels on it where as mine is stock 15"s

You guys have driven new cars before and felt how tight and "put together" they felt. I would like to get that back on my car.

What parts can replace to acheive this as I know it can be done as the car felt this way before. My shop says that the shocks and strut are fine and are not in need of replacement. All I can think of are maybe bushing that act as cushions between part.

Please lend me your expertise on this.

Thanks,

Duron
Old 02-29-2004, 12:15 PM

2001 CLK320
most likely with all the accumulated miles you've got

the suspension rubber bushings are simply worn and have more clearance or 'slop' among the various components.

The 5 link rear suspension definitely has rubber bushings that will wear out. These serve to keep the rear wheels alignment and control over bumps and curves in the proper locations.

The front control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings are other wear parts that continually wear with every bump as you drive along.

Another thing to look into is the condition of the shocks front and rear...if those are allowed to wear they will cause the suspension rubber parts to wear more since the motions that would be controlled by shocks that were in top condition.

This is a maintenance item on all Benz models that must be checked...the service manuals (and articles I've read in the MBCA Star) mention that bushings get elongated, compressed or worn out of spec and give that 'old' loose feeling.

If you're not up to this on your own, I'd check around with reputable shops familiar with Mercedes' maintenance and have the suspension bushings inspected...it can be put back to like new condition - the parts are available.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Almost a Member!

1993 400E
Thanks so much Hal for your information and quick response. I will have my shop specifically look for these areas with great scrutiny.

duron
Old 02-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Jer

1994 E320
From what I've read on the forum and the service manual, the bushings are not available separately, and the entire link must be replaced. Does anyone know of a source for aftermarket bushings (without the links), or are the bushings integrated in such a way that replacement is not possible?