E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

m104 camshaft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
m104 camshaft

Friends, I have a doubt, I have a m104 disarmed, I am putting the chain of distribution and I do not know how is mounted the gear of the intake cam, has variator, by logic is completely turned to the right (if the cam turns to the Left is advanced, if the pulley turns right is advanced)
Old 12-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You are in over your head, take the car to a proper garage!!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E280T
Looks like you went to quick and didnt make notes .....

Put a screwdriver in cylinder 1 to find top dead center (piston will be all the way up). by turning crankshaft . make sure the marks on the pulley also line up

With the chain and tensioner off (BEWARE. the tensioner is the biggest B*itch to get back on) I still hate my car for it 1 month later

On the shafts towards the back (towards the firewall) there is a "nut" you can turn the shafts by wrench to line up the front sprockets.

then follow this: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ine_At_TDC.htm

best advise : take your time, read, read again, take your time again, and make sure you are right. the rh shaft you can turn by hand about 1-2 cm but I cannot remember if you need to turn it left or right to set it.

This method works great
Old 05-18-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing that burned my head was the advance of the admission shaft. For logic advance, just GO, after placing a point on both shafts, place the variable gear in its right position (clockwise).
Already armed everything I started and worked perfect, I stopped it for a while, three months, when the starter was very rich in the mixture, almost did not idle, this week for the first time to use it To the highway, the car reacts well, and I did not want to try it at very high speed until the owner arrives and he does it, until 170kmh has arrived and feeling that a speed like that rate and does not pass the change.
Is it possible that I was mistaken at the point of the admission shaft? Given that I was rich in the mix and I was high on the high?
The shaft and the crankshaft were perfectly synchronized, the crankshaft in OT and the shafts with bolts of 4mm, but the drive inverter did not leave me calm, I put it at its point of maximum delay.
Unless when i start the engine, the ECU along the maximum and a measure that is in the rpm advancing,
I believe that the drive is excited with the rpm, or start excited (advanced)?