E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Help Flooded e320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 e320
Help Flooded e320

I recently acquired 1994 E320 Sedan that I used to own. I sold this car to a good friend of mine but luck was not on his side. A bad storm came threw the area a couple of years ago and flooded the car. I'm talking the car was parked outside, flood came and the car went haywire. Lights started flashing, windows operating on their own and the sunroof opening and closing. Finally one the flood subsides we were able to take a close look at the damage. We vacuumed all the water, and let the car air dry for a week or so. Came back and tried to start to the car. No luck. Found out that the anti theft module was damaged, so we unplugged that. Still nothing. Being that it was a late model we found out that there was any immobilizer in that theft unit. We ended up putting a jumper wire on a relay that's tucked up behind the cluster. What do you know she started. My buddy got the car to the point where he could drive the car if he needed it. It was one of three cars he had, eventually he sat on the back burner until now. Me and him struck and deal and I want to bring it back to life. So obviously I having a few problems with it.

The immediate one I would like to resolve my window problem.
Scenarios:

• Key on;
-Driver window does not work, you can hear a click that sounds like it's coming from under the dash(I'm guessing a relay)
-Passenger front window does not work, this time you can hear a noise from under the rear seat
-Driver rear window doesn't work, again you can hear a noise from under the rear seat
-Passenger rear window does operate properly
-Sunroof no operation not noise(we and you push this closed after the storm)

• Key off and key out of ignition;
-Passenger rear window still operates

I have looked at fuses, I looked and the module under the seat to look for corrosion and did see anything.

My second problem that I need resolved is the locking system on the car.

Scenarios:

• Use the key at either the driver door, passenger door or truck and it will lock or unlock that specific door or trunk. It will not operate any other door.

• Car acts as if it has manual locks. You have to put some force if you are in the inside of the car to lock the doors

• I do not hear and pumps or anything.

• Fuses are good

I'm hoping someone with some knowledge of these cars can help me out and point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 02-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'91 560SEL '93 400SEL
Biggest issue is going to be corrosion. Corroded exposed contact points, wiring, and relays modules at the very least. Relay modules can appear deceiving from the outside, outside may look fine but that doesn't mean water didn't manage to seep into the relay box!

The lock issue is likely multi-part problem. The lock system, if like the system in the W124 series, will be pneumatic, and it is possible that there could still be flood water in the pneumatic airlines. And since you aren't hearing any sounds other than the individual lock when you turn the key there is likely an issue with the electrical system controlling the pneumatic system, again corrosion is the must likely suspect. But the pneumatic pump itself could be seized as they weren't designed to get wet.