E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

W124 M103 Engine wont start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz W124 300E
W124 M103 Engine wont start

Hi all. I'm a new member here, and i have a problem with my 87 W124 300E.
​​​​​​
My car wont start if i not pushed down the air flow plates. And if i do, the car just started and running fine. And if i shut the car off. It wont start again before i pushed the plate down again.

So i assume the fuel distributor are not inject the fuel before i pushed the plate down.

And here What I do to trying to fix this problem

-Rebuild the fuel distributor. And I'm tested it many times and no fuel leaks when the fuel pump kicks in.

-adjusting air mixture. No luck. in the end, the car just running rich or won't start at all. Or it started if i unplug the fuel pump relay

- replace the FPR. This part is the only untouched. I dont know how to adjust it.

-new fuel filter

-new fuel pump

-Adjusting EHA. Same like air mixture. No start or running rich.

-all relay and fuse related with fuel system is good.

So, there's possible if i just make the depth of the air flow plate more deeper down? And how?

Any suggestions will be very appreciated

Thankyou 😊
Old 06-17-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1995 E420, 1998 E300TD, 2002 CL230K 6spd, 2002 CL230K auto, 2002 CL280T VR6 Project, 2001 A6 2.7T
Sometimes the engine can backfire and cause the airflow sensor plate to become displaced and there is a procedure to re-center the plate in the venturi and another procedure to set the basic "rest position" of the plate. If I recall correctly there is a small steel pin in the top of the mixture regulator housing that can be carefully driven down with small punch and a hammer in order to set the basic position. Ive seen the pin get pushed up by the airflow sensor plate arm when a backfire occurs. The setting is very specific and must be set correctly before even attempting to further regulate the engine.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:26 AM

Mercedes Benz W124 300E
Originally Posted by junkyarddawg
Sometimes the engine can backfire and cause the airflow sensor plate to become displaced and there is a procedure to re-center the plate in the venturi and another procedure to set the basic "rest position" of the plate. If I recall correctly there is a small steel pin in the top of the mixture regulator housing that can be carefully driven down with small punch and a hammer in order to set the basic position. Ive seen the pin get pushed up by the airflow sensor plate arm when a backfire occurs. The setting is very specific and must be set correctly before even attempting to further regulate the engine.
Hmm okay, so if i punch the pin down, the plate directly go down right? And what if i pushed it down too far? Any way to go back? Because its seem scary as sh*t to adjusting this plate

Thankyou for your answer btw
Old 07-20-2017, 04:14 PM

1987 MERCEDES 300E
http://www.w124performance.com/servi.../07.3-1665.pdf
Here is the shop manual link to adjust the airflow plate.