E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

w124 suspension set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w124 300te
w124 suspension set up

i have a stock '89 300te wagon. I'm sick of the stock height and i also have a blown strut, my SLS doesn't work and i want to lower it atleast to be able to run fender to tire on a chosen set of wheels i have yet decided on... (which will be another thread once suspension/coilover setup is figured out along with the SLS and what not).

anyways, i have read generally every suspension set up on w124s everything from cutting springs to running sabb shocks, 95 ford ranger shocks, YSR suspension kit, ta-technix coilovers, e36 JOM front struts, koi z3 suspension and still confused.. this thread talks a lot about every thing that people have tried but doesn't necessarily state wether or not which works the best, fits the best, or rides the best. Some lightly tapped the drop height, but still left a bit unclear.

i just want to say i am pretty much against cutting springs, and since i have bought a keep car, i'd like to stick with buying an affordable suspension/coilover kit rather than just buying the YSR suspension kit for basically $1000 usd. Not about to dump 1k in suspension on a car i got for $1650.
and not so much into aftermarket parts as i am more into oe/oem/jom and etc parts.

so id like to know anyones input/advice on the w124 suspension/coilover conversion, don't want to wake up the old one so therefore I'm starting up a new one.

heres what i got from the other threads & forums..

Front...
first, the bmw e36 coilovers someone said they ran "Red By Performance springs" and another also said removing springs due to it being nearly impossible to run the entire e36 setup due to i guess the lack of clearance due to the top hat being too wide, and using only the shock. (using only the shock absorbers without the springs)
also, i read the knuckles of the hub im assuming don't fit directly right into the stem of the shocks so you kinda just bang some bolts and shimmy it in and they'll end up fitting??

I really like the things said about the e36 just about the drop which is said to have a 90mm/3.7inch drop.
and/or the raceland e36 front coilover kit (rears don't fit on to the rear of the w124)

second, the ysr coilovers (not interested in but for those who want a quick answer for suspension) heres the site.
its said on the site which these are adjustable which you can get a drop anywhere from 50mm-100mm/1.9inches-3.9inches.

(the drop height for the e36 to the ysr coilovers are literally not that much of a difference but they differ a lot in price)

third, the koni bmw z3 coiler setup so ive read it should be a perfect fit all around.

Rear
first, Saab 900/90 shock absorbers with polyurethane bumpstops, with short red preformance springs.

second, i guess the '95 Ford Ranger front shocks using as the rear shocks on the w124. these i guess have been emphasized as being short. and theres no need for cutting, you just bolt them in.
The following users liked this post:
MacMade300 (02-02-2023)