E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1995 E320 cuts off while driving when > 85 degrees

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E500 wagon
1995 E320 cuts off while driving when > 85 degrees

I have a problem that I've been struggling with for a little while.
Here are my symptoms:

Can be in motion at any speed, or at a stop light. Engine seems to loose power and tach goes to 0 (even though still rolling in gear at 60mph). The ABS light comes on...then sometimes it will resolve itself and power comes back. Other times power doesn't come back and then all dash lights come on.

It won't occur until after car is fully warmed up and seems to only happen if ambient temps are above 85F. Its worse the warmer it is outside.

Sometimes it will immediately start back up but often I have to wait a few minutes before it will start.

My gut is telling me that its OVP or perhaps crank sensor. Back of my mind i guess it could be the harness but that's been updated already as best I can tell.

Anyone else dealt with this before? I searched and found a mix of culprits including a MAF. I don't suspect the MAF in my case but I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E500 wagon
For Historical purposes, i felt I should update this thread.
it was indeed the ovp relay. It's finally completely crapped out and turned on the ABS light but then no more stalling while driving.