E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Informal poll - what kind of water temps do you get in hot weather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1989 300CE, 1994 E320 Coupe
Informal poll - what kind of water temps do you get in hot weather?

Hey guys, I'm not having an "issue" really, just wanted to see what everyone else gets with the heat.

In most conditions, my 300CE with the M103 two-valve motor runs at just a bit above 80 degrees Celsius. If it's hot, and I've been driving a while, once I've stopped in traffic the needle will rise to that third hash mark, which I'll guess is about 100 degrees.

If it starts rising above that, the auxiliary fan kicks in and lowers it, and also, the temp will go right back down to near 80 degrees once I'm moving along. So, nothing critical. Everything seems to be working correctly, no leaks or dying water pumps that I can see.

But I only ask because I don't remember seeing that when these W124's were new, so clearly, there is *some* loss of cooling ability, even if it's not an actual problem. I was thinking about replacing the radiator, because I'm sure it's not as good as new at this point.

Anyone think this is a good idea? Or am I just overreacting to a little thing?