E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Buying '95 A124 Cab - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 S420
Buying '95 A124 Cab - Advice Needed

Hi all,

Firs time poster on MBWorld, long time enthusiast & budding Merc geek

I'm pretty seriously considering trading my '14 Jetta for a '95 E320 Cabrio. Need advice on some potential flags.

the good:
-67k on the odo
-Replaced wiring harness
-Outstanding shape--paint, body, fenders, interior, roof, etc
-All features working--electrical, AC, etc, save for the electrical headrest raise/lower (fun weekend project) and a busted driver's side visor mirror cover (one day project)
-AMG rims
-top fully functional, no problems opening or closing

the big red flag:
-fume smell when car is running, pronounced when the AC is on
-clear liquid dripping from exhaust

1) are the two above related?

Awaiting verification of service history--saw the vehicle yesterday (Saturday) but the dealer sales person who knows the car is back tomorrow (Monday).

2) do you think this could be the head gasket??

3) what else could be causing this?

4) what else should I look out for/know?

have already reached out to a contact about the top cylinders.

will replace air & fuel filter and spark plugs right after I buy--what else would you recommend?

thanks all!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by jetset2015
Hi all,

Firs time poster on MBWorld, long time enthusiast & budding Merc geek

I'm pretty seriously considering trading my '14 Jetta for a '95 E320 Cabrio. Need advice on some potential flags.

the good:
-67k on the odo
-Replaced wiring harness
-Outstanding shape--paint, body, fenders, interior, roof, etc
-All features working--electrical, AC, etc, save for the electrical headrest raise/lower (fun weekend project) and a busted driver's side visor mirror cover (one day project)
-AMG rims
-top fully functional, no problems opening or closing

the big red flag:
-fume smell when car is running, pronounced when the AC is on
-clear liquid dripping from exhaust

1) are the two above related?

Awaiting verification of service history--saw the vehicle yesterday (Saturday) but the dealer sales person who knows the car is back tomorrow (Monday).

2) do you think this could be the head gasket??

3) what else could be causing this?

4) what else should I look out for/know?

have already reached out to a contact about the top cylinders.

will replace air & fuel filter and spark plugs right after I buy--what else would you recommend?

thanks all!
1) no they're not related
2) very unlikely
3) fume smell....bad horrid smell, fuel vapours? the clear stuff in the exhaust is just condensation....it's a good thing. An old school mech will tell you it's a sign of good, clean combustion.
4) What else?
  • Does the engine run on when you turn the key to 'off'
  • Top cylinders - when were they replaced
  • Has the rear of the car got a sagged appearance vs the front, ie does it sit slightly lower
  • Look under the rear seat bench for ANY signs of water....very common for water to puddle up in there and roast the seat belt module + the all-important roof controller. If the roof controller gets roasted, you will be well and truly F****D as they're extremely rare to come across and now being sold for obscene amounts of money. Mercedes have discontinued this part.
Out of curiosity, how much is the A124 that you're looking at if you don't mind? Sounds like it will be well over £10kGBP.... if you're in the USA, I wonder how much.

Personally i wouldn't let the fume thing bother me. It can be fixed. Other things like rust, roof etc are far more important. Mileage isn't even important either tbh. Condition of a classic is paramount.

Good luck!