E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

'93 500E/E500 badging and value question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
'93 500E/E500 badging and value question?

Hey folks- Through word-of-mouth, I found a 500E a few hundred miles from me. It's got 200k on the clock, a new wiring harness and a rebuilt transmission. Cosmetically, the car is in incredible shape (I checked VIN records, and the int/ext color match factory). It's in better shape than my '03 SL55, which is saying something.

Here's where I am concerned: It is a MY93, but the badge on the back says "E500." Current owner says he has not replaced it, and I see no paint fade indicating the presence of a different badge previously. That just seems fishy to me.

I still have not talked with the owner about the timing chain (they last ~200k, right?), and I need to get more info on the service history. It's going for $11k, and I think I could argue him down to 9k-ish.

Thoughts on the price? Any ideas on WTF happened with the badges?
Old 04-28-2018, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Unless it's a one owner car, I am guessing one of the previous owners (not current) probably 'upgraded' the badging and the current owner was just not aware of it. I would just take it for a pre purchase inspection with a shop that has a paint meter (or buy a paint meter if not expensive) and just get readings from each panel. You can also see if each panel still has the original VIN sticker - not bulletproof method though since a repaint could have painted around it.

I think it's a good price for an enjoyable driver 500E instead of those expensive low mileage examples that you basically have to put away as a weekend car.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 ML430
Originally Posted by gone_fission
Hey folks- Through word-of-mouth, I found a 500E a few hundred miles from me. It's got 200k on the clock, a new wiring harness and a rebuilt transmission. Cosmetically, the car is in incredible shape (I checked VIN records, and the int/ext color match factory). It's in better shape than my '03 SL55, which is saying something.

Here's where I am concerned: It is a MY93, but the badge on the back says "E500." Current owner says he has not replaced it, and I see no paint fade indicating the presence of a different badge previously. That just seems fishy to me.

I still have not talked with the owner about the timing chain (they last ~200k, right?), and I need to get more info on the service history. It's going for $11k, and I think I could argue him down to 9k-ish.

Thoughts on the price? Any ideas on WTF happened with the badges?
The better thing to do is read datacard on EPC with the VIN number. You will have original options, color, engine and transmission serial to see if it is matching with the car.