E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Seeking advice from Members (tough decision to make)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Mercedes 300E
Seeking advice from Members (tough decision to make)

Gentle members:

I have been using this forum for some time now, and have gotten terrific feedback on several issues from all of you. I own a 1987 300E. The car is in a terrific shape. Everything works. All electrical systems are functional (except cruise control) including improvements I did on the rear view mirror, heated seats, sound, etc. The car has a new battery, brand new front and rear brakes (I did this myself last year), rebuilt transmission (3 years ago at a reputable shop), new alternator, new blower motor, 3-year old muffler and exhaust, 2 year old aftermarket catalytic converter, Working AC, no rust, other than two spots on the hood that need painting, and a lot of new parts here and there. Car drives nice, and front end job done 2 years ago with new tires. Good winter and summer car. Drives like a tank. The only problem I had was leaking oil. I took it to "Mainly Benz" in Poughkeepsie who advised me to put a case of motor oil in the trunk and top it off when needed. Recently it developed a leak in the radiator, and I saw some antifreeze in the oil pan, which was a good indication that it needed a new water pump. So I got all the parts (including belt tensioner assembly, thermostat, hoses), and was getting ready to have if fixed. My son wanted the car for a couple of months, in the Albany New York, and I gave it, cautioning him to pay attention to the temperature gauge and oil level.

Well, the water pump replacement date was this week. My son calls me over the weekend and says that the car overheated and made strange metallic sounds afterwards. It would be very hard to start as well. I figured he blew the motor . So here is the dilemma:

I am attached to this car, as I have been nursing it to life for years, and it has served me faithfully (fathers, never give old cars to your sons, they will run them to the ground). I figure this time the only way I can bring it to life is if I get a new motor.

And here is where I am asking your opinion about it. Is it worth the effort and money? Not sure how much the new motor will be, and how much a mechanic will charge me to put it on. Since I know little of the Albany area (it is 100 miles north), I have to tow the car to Poughkeepsie. How good of a motor can one get, how well can this job be done, and how much can I expect to dish out to put it back on the road? I feel that the money I will spend, will be a lot more than the actual value of the car. And let us be pragmatic and leave the sentiments out. Is it worth the effort? If not, do you know of a place in the Albany area that I can junk the car? How much can I expect to get out of it?

So if it were you are to put yourselves in my shoes, what will you do? Fix it or junk it?

Many thanks to all for the advice and all the advice I have been receiving throughout the years I have been a member of this forum.

Z

PS (I also have a ton of parts for the car from bone-yards. lights, relays, heating controllers, computer units, the works, in case anybody is interested).
Old 06-11-2018, 01:39 PM

1987 Mercedes 300E

Old 06-11-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1994 e320 coupe
Can't start like...does it turn over, but just won't fire? Or nothing moves, just a click click click?

Sounds like maybe it ran out of radiator coolant and overheated. oil leak maybe due to a headgasket issue? NOt sure if M103 had HG issues like 104 do. Probably.

How many miles on the motor?

Car looks clean and worth saving. If the engine truly is messed up, you can try to find a used engine in a wrecked car where you can hear it and see it run and has good compression.

If you car is in crap shape, with a ton of miles, then maybe worth just parting it out.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:05 PM

1994 e320 coupe
"Recently it developed a leak in the radiator, and I saw some antifreeze in the oil pan, which was a good indication that it needed a new water pump. "

You dropped the oil pan? Or you saw coolant/milky stuff on the dip stick? Either way, doesn't mean water pump is bad, but most likely a head gasket failed.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1989 300CE, 1994 E320 Coupe
The M103 isn’t as prone to HG failure as the M104, but there’s no way to know if that’s what happened without finding a local reputable shop anyway. Having said that, it looks like a really clean rust-free car, and the M103 is a stout motor, so I’d try to find a used one. It sounds like all other potential issues have already been addressed, so I’d get the replacement motor, make sure those seals around the transmission are fresh while you’re engine-out, and keep it. ����
Old 06-12-2018, 01:24 PM

1987 Mercedes 300E
Thanks for the replies. The car actually had a head gasket redone at around 120k miles on the odometer (which is roughly 9 years ago). I am not sure what the actual mileage is, since I replaced the center console with one that the external temperature LED was functional over 18 years ago. The engine starts after a few cranks, but the noise is sickening. This is what my son said. I did not have the heart to listen to the sound, as I am afraid I would break down .... crying . Plus the car is far from where I am.

I saw the anti-freeze outside the pan dripping down. Kind of hard to miss it. Also the drip started after the thermostat opened. No wet spots around the top of the water pump. Probably at the bottom, but it was not visible from the top of the engine. Also there was a small leak in the radiator and I already have a replacement available.

The main problem is getting a new motor, is that one can easily inherit the problems the used motor had, before it was stripped. Could need a head gasket, might have an oil leak, etc. Bottom line is that if you add towing, new motor, labor, etc, the expense will be well over 2k, which is a lot more than the actual value of the car (leaving sentimental value out). So the risk is high for a car that old.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:54 PM

1994 e320 coupe
If she runs, is it a knocking sound? ticking? Banging?