E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

88 300E problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 300e
88 300E problem

Hi - New here - would sure like some help!
My 88 300e was running fine, then started to miss, especially under load, then stopped completely. Would not start. Seemed logical that it starving for fuel, so I changed the fuel filter. The car started right up, but within a mile exhibited the same problem and died completely again. Again will not start. What is the likely cause and where should I start? Thanks a ton for any help you experienced guys might have.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300E
Originally Posted by white88benz
Hi - New here - would sure like some help!
My 88 300e was running fine, then started to miss, especially under load, then stopped completely. Would not start. Seemed logical that it starving for fuel, so I changed the fuel filter. The car started right up, but within a mile exhibited the same problem and died completely again. Again will not start. What is the likely cause and where should I start? Thanks a ton for any help you experienced guys might have.
Check the basics first - fuel, air, and spark.
Fuel flow - you can search here and/or the BenzWorld forum for the test procedure, and here's a YouTube video:
Air filter - unlikely, but if could cause a problem if it were severely clogged.
Spark plugs - are any dirty/fowled? A cheap, in-line plug tester will show if you are getting spark at each cylinder.
Just a guess, but I think it might be your fuel pumps - your car has 2 - but DON'T replace them before testing!