E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1992 W124 300E-24V Starts the dies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 300E-24V
1992 W124 300E-24V Starts the dies

Hello, I am looking for some insight into fixing my W124 now I have finally got round to it. I purchased the car with the fault with no major indication as to where it lies so to speak.

The car starts first turn of the key no problem. It will run on choke up to 12-1300 rpm then within the space of 5-7 seconds it will cut out completely. Restarting is fine. If you increase acceleration the car will stay running but not without coughing/spluttering/shaking. Seems to be okay up to 2000ish but anything after that it misfires really.

To start with I read many posts about replacing the ignition components with genuine Bosch components which I did, all except leads. Including rotor arm, cap and flex plate. Car still performs in exactly the same manor.

I have removed the MAS relay and bridged pins 1 & 2 for a permanent live to the fuel pump. Car still performing in the same manor cutting out at the same time.

Pressure tested the upper chamber in the fuel distributor to get the whole system pressure which came to about 5.9bar. Im not sure whether this was in spec. Same for the lower chamber, which was 5.5bar indicating correct drop between the two. Noted no changed in EHA when plugging back in. I performed the fuel pump test removing the return line after the regulator and seemed to get much more than the 1L expected within 40 seconds.

I am hoping someone with good experience could possibly point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
300E
Mercedes Source is a good place to start

Try this link:https://mercedessource.com/problems/...ust-wont-start . I researched the W124 before I bought mine recently and Kent (The guy in these videos ) puts out a lot of great and useful info on these cars. This link should be a good place to start diagnosing your starting issue.