E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Where and How Should I go about getting a replacement key for my 95' E320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 E320
Where and How Should I go about getting a replacement key for my 95' E320?

To keep it concise, I lost the key to my 95 e320 and I wanted to know the right way to go about getting it replaced as soon as possible? I have the documents that prove it belongs to me so nothing of that aspect should be a problem. I know it's definitely an older model car so I was unsure if that would pose any problems for me that I should be aware of.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 E500, 00 SL500, 99 SL500, 94 E420, 92 500E, 92 500E, 92 300CE, 06 Lexus GX470
Mercedes Dealer

Originally Posted by ATreuMM
To keep it concise, I lost the key to my 95 e320 and I wanted to know the right way to go about getting it replaced as soon as possible? I have the documents that prove it belongs to me so nothing of that aspect should be a problem. I know it's definitely an older model car so I was unsure if that would pose any problems for me that I should be aware of.
Very simple, bring your registration and/or proof of ownership, along with your ID to any Mercedes Dealer and by using the Vin number of your car, they will have a new key cut for you in a few days.
In the USA I think all Mercedes keys are cut in Texas, but they are fast to ship back to the dealer. Non-chip keys are fairly cheap, think I paid about $30 or so last time I had them made. If that was the only key you had, you should buy 2 keys, or if you still have an extra key that works, some locksmiths,(but not all), can cut them as well). Your safest bet is to get one cut from the Dealer.
An additional piece of advise would be to order a complete new ignition tumbler, it comes with a new key in it, and it is identical to the original. Old 124 tumblers can start causing problems as they wear, and if you ever get to the point where the key gets stuck and/or won't turn, the replacement process gets real complicated. Changing out the tumbler while it;s still working is highly advised, do it now and you'll never have to worry about it again. I installed new tumblers in all 4 or my 124's as preventive maintenance, not that expensive to do, you won't get stuck and need to be towed, and you won't have to have the dealer drill everything out to get it changed. On your 95 124, it's just so easy to do, 1 5 to 10 minute job you can do yourself. Just go to YouTube and search for tumbler change on a 124, here is one video, there are others that are similar...
If you don't want to install the tumbler yourself, the dealer can do it very quickly, and it's worth it to change out the tumbler while the old key/tumbler is still working... Good Luck

PS: here is another video to demonstrate the need to replace the tumbler

Last edited by ohollenbeck; 05-25-2019 at 06:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (05-02-2020)