E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Camber Issue/Front Suspension - Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300D
Unhappy Camber Issue/Front Suspension - Help

I've been scouring the threads and have yet to find a similar situation to this. I normally can troubleshoot these issues but this time I'm stumped; here's the story. Bought the car three years ago and now it's time to replace the tires. It's an 87' 300D, not any work done to the suspension/steering in a long time. I started replacing parts gradually last year, gearing up for the tire change. I've replaced; Both side inner/outer tie rods, centre link, centre link shock absorber, the LCA ball joints, both struts on the front with new Bilstein struts, and the rear with Bilstein shocks. I got the tires at the very end of April when I did the tie-rods and followed up with a necessary alignment. Here we are three months later and the tires are almost bald at the outer edge. The outer rubber has completely balded, and the tread depth on the brand new tires is 3mm on the first tread and 7 on the inner-most tread, and this is on both the driver and passenger side front tires. This lead me to believe I was dealing with some serious cambering of the wheels or something. Took it back to the same guys who did the alignment and they came back with my suspicions; there's a positive cambering of the wheels, but there's no bolts that can make the adjustments. I have noticed two things since I've been very vigilant lately; 1]- As I am steering the steering wheel either left or right, after one full rotation, the wheel steers itself TOWARDS the turn, rather than attempting to come back straight like any other vehicle. You can feel this point where there's almost a disconnect of the wheel from the rack for a split second and then it steers hard TOWARDS the turn either direction. You have to turn the wheel for it to come back, and once you pass that point, the car will drive itself out of the turn. It's not a strong pull, but definitely noticeable. Looking at the tires head-on at full turn lock, you can see the tire turning TOWARDS the turn actually is tilting outwards, and is farther in the turning radius than the tire on the other side. This leads me to believe a idler arm bushing perhaps? LCA bushings? steering box itself? I'm at a loss for the first time with this thing, and I've destroyed a perfect pair of brand new tires. Need your guys' expertise.