E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Delayed Becker Radio Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 Mercedes-Benz 300TE 4matic
Delayed Becker Radio Start

Hey all,

Recently got a 91 300TE 4matic wagon with very low miles (55K) and overall in great condition.

Electronically almost everything works as it should, but the original Becker radio has been giving me issues. Often when I start up the car, the radio won't automatically turn on, and I'll need to keep testing out the on button every few minutes until it works. Once it's on, it works perfectly and doesn't go off. And then for the remainder of the day it will automatically go on when I start the car and stay on with no issues. But then a couple days later I'll face the same issue - sometimes it can take as long as 30 min of driving before it fires up. I've replaced fuse for the radio but that hasn't made a difference.

Curious if anyone else has faced this issue and what a possible fix could be?
Old 12-19-2019, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 971 Likes on 755 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Try the factory authorized repair shop "Becker Auto Sound" in New Jersey.

https://www.beckerautosound.com/

A couple of months ago they did a great job repairing the original Becker radio from my '99 plus added streaming Bluetooth to it. Check to see if your radio and components are on the list. They also provide plug-and-play upgrade radios.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560 sec
Originally Posted by julcheram
Hey all,

Recently got a 91 300TE 4matic wagon with very low miles (55K) and overall in great condition.

Electronically almost everything works as it should, but the original Becker radio has been giving me issues. Often when I start up the car, the radio won't automatically turn on, and I'll need to keep testing out the on button every few minutes until it works. Once it's on, it works perfectly and doesn't go off. And then for the remainder of the day it will automatically go on when I start the car and stay on with no issues. But then a couple days later I'll face the same issue - sometimes it can take as long as 30 min of driving before it fires up. I've replaced fuse for the radio but that hasn't made a difference.

Curious if anyone else has faced this issue and what a possible fix could be?
hello
curious if u ever figured out what the issue was. just got a 91 560 sec and same issue. radio turns on after a while, sooner on warmer days. when radio is on, its totally functional.