E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Can reverse fine but can't drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
Question Can reverse fine but can't drive

So I have a 1990 Mercedes 300E. The transmission had delayed shifting for a while, so I went to autozone and bought some of that lucas anti slip stuff, after adding about half a bottle, I started driving and now the care barely moves when on Drive...it sounds like it goes into gear when I put it on D but I can rev as much as I want and sometimes it will barely move, most times it won’t move at all. Any guesses?
I believe I might've overfilled it a little bit, since it is about an 1/8 of an inch above the box on the dipstick. Could this be the problem, or did that exacerbate the previous problem and my transmission is completely done? I really don't feel like dropping 3k on a 900 dollar car...
Old 08-06-2020, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
93 W124 2.5TD
Try googling
Old 01-18-2024, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 1991 260e
Did you find the problem? I have the same problem. I was stuck in the snow. Gave it some gas and got out. Drove for about 2min and all of a sudden I stopped moving no noise or anything from the trans. I still have reverse but not drive or 2-3gear I check fluid it was a bit low so I filled it. When I put it in drive It kind of just rolls forward but I doesnt grab. There was a bit of smoke coming from the dipstick tube but fluid looks Okey. Idk what to do.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:57 AM

Received 116 Likes on 105 Posts
190E 2.6L 1989, 190E 2.6L 1988, BMW 535dXdrive 2014, BMW 428i 2015
Originally Posted by W1241991
Did you find the problem? I have the same problem. I was stuck in the snow. Gave it some gas and got out. Drove for about 2min and all of a sudden I stopped moving no noise or anything from the trans. I still have reverse but not drive or 2-3gear I check fluid it was a bit low so I filled it. When I put it in drive It kind of just rolls forward but I does not grab. There was a bit of smoke coming from the dipstick tube but fluid looks Okey. Idk what to do.
I do not currently have a 124 auto as I drive a 201 manual. Wish the 124 came in manual in the US. My 124 reverse gear died a decade ago and I ended up selling the car at 145K miles.
I'm no expert on auto transmissions but generally what goes is the sealing ability of the various clutches. These allow pressure build up for various gears to enable gear changing to the next gear.
This is why when one rev's the engine sometimes the clutch seal holds enough pressure to allow gear changes.

I believe this is why when one notices a very dark/dirty transmission oil, the advice generally given is "do not mess with the fluid" if you do not have transmission issues. Because it is too far gone and a fluid flush may make matters worse, it is a gamble because you are changing fluid dynamics between the old and new fluid.

Of course your specific problem could be something else and may require adjustments to the vacuum modulator etc.

So if your problem is clutch seals, there really is no remedy for that, the transmission has to be overhauled. And that is an expensive proposition and usually not a DIY job.

You probably have to take the car to a 124 special transmission shop to have it assessed properly. It may of may not be the clutch seals in your case.

In my case for a '95 W124 it was the reverse seal because it was defective out of the factory. Mercedes used a plastic seal which wore out too quickly. Replacements were metal.
I have reason to believe the earlier models used a metal seal for reverse (or a better design/materials) and one does not see many posts about reverse gear failures in earlier models.

- Cheers!