E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

CE Convertible Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CE Convertible Conversion

Has anyone out there converted a CE to a convertible?

At first glance this should be one of the easier cars to convert due to it being a pillarless coupe.

Did Mercedes make any dastardly changes when they bought out the drop top though - such as windscreen angle etc? (manufacturers often do this).

I take it the roof is electric?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Almost a Member!

I also wondered about this.

Looking at the price of the Cabriolet versions (certainly in the UK), I thought it may be economically viable to perform the conversion using genuine components and still save a packet on what a genuine one would cost.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Considering ALL cabrio cars are weaker structurally than the coupe/sedan counterpart, chassis stiffening/bracing measures have to be undertaken. Good luck getting that done and good luck having that ghetto-rigged mercedes drive properly....
Old 09-09-2004, 03:37 PM

Yes I agree with Spike - I'm looking into getting this done. There must be people in Germany who have done this.

Zorro I would agree with you if this the convertible was not a production car but there's nothing high tech about strengthening a floor - bolting or welding.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Sure a conversion may be a good idea if you don't plan on selling the car for more than a couple of grand because I don't know anyone that would buy a car with such a conversion....some hack shop cutting off the top, claiming they know how to properly strengthen a car and such is not what I'd call a safe buy. I'd want a company who spent millions in R&D to develop a real convertible to do the job....i.e. MB....good luck with your "ad"venture"
Old 09-09-2004, 05:01 PM

1989 300CE
This guy thought about doing a conversion and settled for this instead: