E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

RPM at Idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 230E W124, 1999 Honda Civic SiR
RPM at Idle

I have some problem with my RPM as it keeps on going down. Right after starting the engine RPM stays at around 1100. Then, as I switch "ON" the Air-conditioner RPM goes down to 800 and as shift my gear from Park to Reverse or Drive, the RPM goes further down to 700.

The problem actually started like this. My car was running normal but one fine morning it did not start. I checked with my friend and he said that my battery just died. So we replace the battery with a spare (used) and it started at once. We checked the alternator if its working by disconnecting the battery while the engine is running and it kept the engine ON. After few minutes of running i stopped the car and found that it was not starting again.

We replace again the battery with a spare unit(better condition) and it started. My friend told me that my alternator is not giving enough power to charge the battery becausse the idle RPM is low, so he raised the RPM to give more charge to the battery.

In a way, it's better now than before coz the engine is not stopping. By the way, my engine used to stop before when i'm getting out of the parking lot while my steering wheel is fully turned.

I just dont like the idea of having unstable idle RPM while switching the AC ON or shifting the gear from Park to Reaverse or Drive.

What could be the reason why my RPM is not steady?

My friend have just cleaned the fuel regulator (the flap before the intake manifold) and we have found a lot of dirt. After cleaning the whole piece the response improved a lot but still the rpm drops while shifting.