E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Wiring harness needs to be replaced ..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320 , Lexus IS350
Wiring harness needs to be replaced ..

Here is the original post by me:
http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/th...wiring+harness

Yesterday I dropped my car off to my local Mercedes Benz dealer here in Queens, NY. They called me back just now and told me my wiring harness has gone bad and needs to be replaced. They said the part itself will be $950. Labor will be $750 for 7.5 hours. Is that how much dealer's will charge to replace the wiring harness?? $1700 to replace wirings seems a lot. Anyone did this before? How much did they charge?

They also said that it MIGHT not even fix the stalling problem, but I must take the chance because the wiring does need to be replaced. How long is it suppose to last? My car only has 78,000 miles on it!!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Both parts and labor seem high. I priced the part at $575 a couple years ago. It should take 2-4 hours to replace the wiring (2 for an experienced tech such as the dealer, 4 for me - I like to take my time and not rush).

True that it might not solve the problem, but this has to be done, so this money isn't completely wasted. Only a year or two ago, a lot of people posted about getting the dealer to provide the labor for free or half price on the part cost.

Do a search on this site and other MB sites to arm yourself with information that this is a known and systematic problem for a number of models between 93-95. Nearly all MB dealers will act surprised that you have such a problem. This is a very well known problem among MB owners, and those in the business of servicing MBs should certainly be aware of this issue.

We all assume the replacement is made of better quality insulation, like on 99.5% of the cars on the road today. If not, a lot of owners will be screaming bloody murder having to replace the engine wiring harness every 8 years.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:15 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
It is really very easy to replace the harness. I waited while my independent mechanic replaced mine and I think it took about three hours. At least that was what he charged me. It is certainly not a 7.5 hour job. Maybe that is the flat rate but it certainly doesn't take that long.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:52 PM

The price went up from this year. People did tell me that it's now $900+. I know it takes only 2 hours to replace, but how do i tell them that? I can find plenty of information about 93-95 Benz that have bad wiring harness on the internet, but do i just print them out and show it to them? Will they care?

Originally Posted by Kestas
Both parts and labor seem high. I priced the part at $575 a couple years ago. It should take 2-4 hours to replace the wiring (2 for an experienced tech such as the dealer, 4 for me - I like to take my time and not rush).

True that it might not solve the problem, but this has to be done, so this money isn't completely wasted. Only a year or two ago, a lot of people posted about getting the dealer to provide the labor for free or half price on the part cost.

Do a search on this site and other MB sites to arm yourself with information that this is a known and systematic problem for a number of models between 93-95. Nearly all MB dealers will act surprised that you have such a problem. This is a very well known problem among MB owners, and those in the business of servicing MBs should certainly be aware of this issue.

We all assume the replacement is made of better quality insulation, like on 99.5% of the cars on the road today. If not, a lot of owners will be screaming bloody murder having to replace the engine wiring harness every 8 years.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
It depends on how badly they want your business and how badly you want this problem fixed by them. Fact is they want too much for the job. With my style of negotiating, I found the best way is to arm yourself with information and allow them to save face. You must be prepared to walk away without giving them business if you're not satisfied. In your case, you may have to either talk to another dealer or find an independant to give you a quote. You don't want to get nasty and put them down or they'll just write you off. Be matter-of-fact and be diplomatic.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:53 PM

1994 E320 Sedan
Remember when dealing with MB:
Labor is 3 hours BASE, regardless of the work that is done. Then the actual time is added. Hence the price, which unfortunately is dead on.

My mech did it for $600, along with many other parts.
Search for my tale of woe in the forum, if you want a list of parts.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:32 PM

Replaced for $2000 + tax

$913 for wiring harness
$312 for MAF sensor

The rest was labor.
Just hope this new wiring harness is better quality.