E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Bilstein B4 with stock springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 E220 W124
Bilstein B4 with stock springs

I've been going back and forth on the phone with my local Bilstein dealer, and just now with Bilstein AU, and am still a bit confused. I'm hoping some of you here would be able to help me out on this.

So I've been looking at getting some Bilstein B4s for my stock W124, but apparently all they stock in Australia are B4 HDs only. I am still riding on the stock standard springs, and have no desire to lower it or increase handling, as I'd rather keep it floaty and comfortable, plus I already have a lowered weekend car for handling.

The question is, should I try to get the standard B4s, or would the B4 HD not worsen the ride comfort as the Bilstein rep stated? My research tells me the B4 standard is already overdamped by 20% over stock, and that the B4 HD is the equivelant to regular B6/sport but with standard ride height? I'm still waiting on the supplier to get back to me on how much extra time/money it'd take to get the standard B4s and would like to know from anyone who's had first hand experience with this.

Thanks!