E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1991 300te overheating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124
1991 300te overheating

Hey guys so trying to diagnose and solve my problem with your help. 300te m103 overheating from time to time. Expansion tank, cap, thermostat, viscous fan, coolant all changed and flushed including the radiator. Head was checked for gasket leak and passed with flying colors. The coolant was refilled and bled according to the manual. The car will run fine and hold temperature under 90c but out of nowhere will start climbing all the way up to 120c. If I turn the heat on full and hot, temperature will go back to normal. Eventually if I stop the car and turn it off, a great amount of my coolant will just dump out of the overflow bottle to the floor. What am I missing here from the puzzle? Can the water pump be the culprit and not circulate enough volume?
Old 10-16-2022, 10:39 AM

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by Oovvutt
Hey guys so trying to diagnose and solve my problem with your help. 300te m103 overheating from time to time. Expansion tank, cap, thermostat, viscous fan, coolant all changed and flushed including the radiator. Head was checked for gasket leak and passed with flying colors. The coolant was refilled and bled according to the manual. The car will run fine and hold temperature under 90c but out of nowhere will start climbing all the way up to 120c. If I turn the heat on full and hot, temperature will go back to normal. Eventually if I stop the car and turn it off, a great amount of my coolant will just dump out of the overflow bottle to the floor. What am I missing here from the puzzle? Can the water pump be the culprit and not circulate enough volume?
are you sure the thermostat is opening? Can you feel the opening of tstat by touching different coolant hoses to check warmth vs cold? Sounds like it not flowing. Any air still in the system?