E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New Driver's Seat Switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E63 & W211 E63
New Driver's Seat Switch

I've read most of the thread re the driver's seat getting stuck, etc. Last time my mechanic fixed the switch, all he did was clean out and grease the BB's inside the switch. So when my seat got stuck again, I decided to buy a new switch. Well, with the new switch installed, my seat still moves forward but can not move backwards. All other functions work like before. The threads I read leads me to believe that if the seat moves one way but not the other, the switch is likely the culprit. Since, this is for a '88 CE, can it be that the "new" switch is defective after sitting on the shelf too long? Am I missing a fuse elsewhere. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:23 AM

1991 300E
I would check the seat motor. The chances of the old switch and the new switch being defective in that same one direction of motion are pretty slim. Also possible you're getting a stray ground in your wiring somewhere.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:40 PM

W212 E63 & W211 E63
Thanks mhorn for you input. I'm trying to snoop around underneath to view the motor and wires.

Do you, or anyone out there, know how to physically/mechanically move the seat back? I figure if I can move it back to it's orginal position, so I can drive comfortably, then I can disconnect the seat switch so I can't accidently move it anymmore. Alternatively, does anyone know what kind of tool is used to remove the seat. A socket wrench won't fit, and there not enough movment for an open end wrench. Is there a MB special tool?

Thanks in advance...