E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Green Stuff Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
Green Stuff Brake Pads

I got tired of the black brake dust on my front rims. I've heard lot of good things about the "Green Stuff" pads. So, about a week ago I installed a set on the front. So far I can't tel if they dust much, but they squeeeeeal at bout 10 MPH, before stopping. Has abybody used those Green Stuff pads, and if yes, what did you think about them?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers Arnie -

I jumped on this thread because I've heard and read about EBC's Green Stuff pads doing exactly that (squealing). They also tend to eat brake rotors apparently, but only in hard driving situations. Not sure what to tell ya, only that it may not be an isolated incident.

-Mirror
Old 11-10-2004, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I run the Greens on the front of my 500E for past 3 years...not one problem...I like them alot. Never made a peep and has very low dust, as compared to OEM stuff...but they do dust, no such thing as a dustless pad to my knowledge.

The Greens are the least harmful to the rotors...the reds, blues, and yellows certainly will chow your rotors but they are mostly for track use, or recommended as such.

Did you put the metal shims in or paste on the leading edge of the pads? And bed them in correctly? Any pad will make noise if those aren't done correctly.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
That was my next question, about the shims. The instructions on the box said NOT to use the shims, because it they wouldn't fit (too thick). I used them, and did not have any problems. The only thing I forgot to do was to put some of that brake grease between the shims and the pads, I'll do it this weekend, maybe it will stop the squealing. It's not that annoying, but I am a perfectionist (PITA type), and that liitle squeal is driving me crazy.

As far as dust is concerned, I agree with Jim. They dust, but not anything close to the Textar pads I had before.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Perhaps some very hard braking from a high speed; repeatedily, will help break-in those brakes !!

Funny how a thin layer of grease works wonders too...