E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

W124 200E - Air blower motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 200E W124
W124 200E - Air blower motor

Hi all,
The motor of the blower of my car is about to give up, the bearings are really noisy and sometimes at minimum speed it gets stuck.
I have seen a few videos about how to change it, and it doesn't look like anything too complicated, however it will take some time since I need to remove also the wiper. So I would like to have the spare already available, to do the work in one go (and avoid to forget how to put everything back ​​​​​​). I have asked my mechanic if he could procure or give me the code to get the right motor, but he said it's imposible to say before removing the old one, which sounds odd to me. Also in the videos I have seen, there is no sticker visible on the original motor with a code, so there is the risk that I can't find it in that way (for example, after so many years, the code on my inverter wasn't readable any more).
I have checked online and there are indeed a few models compatible with the W124, but I still hope that there is the chance to get it before removing the old one.
So, my car is from 1990, 200E, M102 engine, it has dual zone AC. I'm not aware that it has any filter except for the plastic mesh visible behind the wiper. I don't know if there is any other detail that could help.
Would anyone be able to tell which would be the OEM code for a spare, so I can search for a compatible replacement?
Thanks!
Old 04-27-2024, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 200E W124
Well, I did get a replacement at the end, I managed to select it with from the car model, engine model, AC, no air filters, etc. etc. and today I did the work to replace it.
Spoiler alert: didn't work.
The new motor was shorter than the old one and the fan was wider, so no way to fit it.

At that point, I decided to clean the old one, try to restore the lubricant and with a bit of work and a power supply to make it spin slowly, it stopped making noise. Although still a bit harder to spin than the new one, it moves reasonably well. So I put it back and for now it's working. Hopefully I'll be able to send back the new motor for a refund.
The work has no technical difficulties, you just need to know the order of the parts that you have to remove. There are good videos on youtube.
No issue or broken pieces of plastics, besides one clamp of the windscreen trim which had a broken rivet and came off (but the two remaining seem strong enough, so it will stay like that for now) and the rubber on the wiper clamp that fell in the middle of the engine when I put it back and I couldn't retrieve it, so I cut a new piece of rubber and put it there. It should be fine...