E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New s124 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2004 E55 AMG / 2019 Audi Q7
New s124 owner

Hello all - i've been in the market for an s124 for the last month or 2 and finally bought a 1991 300TE the other day. It's a bit of a risk as i bought it on cars & bids (LISTING) sight unseen. it's far from perfect but i wasn't looking for that as this will be my winter car while i put my e55 away during the snowier northeast months. the car has 184k on it but only 2500 of those miles have been added in the last 18 years which is kind of odd. the listing didn't have a ton of info but it looks like it might have been recently freshened up with a new exhaust, tires and radiator hoses.

i won't be picking the car up for 2 weeks so in the meantime i wanted to get an idea of what it may need to become a reliable cruiser.

first things first, after getting it home (300 mile drive) i plan to take it to a local indy mechanic for a once over. as long as there are no catastrophic issues my plan is:

1. address the rust spots. the one in the door jamb looks a little rough but hopefully doesn't require new metal

2. lower it with h&r springs. maybe bilstein b8. still need to figure out exactly how to accomplish this with the sls. also not positive what the different spring pads achieve

3. new wheels and tires. looking at performa 25 aero III reps. 17x8 F / 17x9.5 R +25 ET for both. these seem far outside the acceptable specs for this chassis but the hillbilly hammer has a set and i think it looks good. will roll & space the front fender and roll the rear. vredestein quatrac pro or michelin cc2 tires to make sure it's serviceable in light snow

if anyone has any thoughts on needs for the car or if they happen to be familiar with it please let me know! Also, if you have other wheel recommendations i'd be interest what else folks are putting on these. a 17" period correct 3-piece is what i'm interested in the most.