E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Rattle in the rear doors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E 2.8
Rattle in the rear doors

Hi guys. I have a 300E 2.8 (which was marketed here just before MB changed the name to E280. It's a 93 model. Anyway, it's a great car but it has these annoying rattles in each of the rear doors - and the rattles are identical (that's what's so intriguing). It kinda sounds like the interior door trim is moving against the metal door frame. At first I thought it must be the ashtrays in the rear doors 'squeaking' against the trim, as this is what it sounds like, but this turned out to be a dead end. Is this something others have had trouble with? If so, any advice?

The car has timber inserts in each of the doors (I think this was standard equipment) and they are clearly a little loose in palces - they rattle too! I've fixed them by sliding small pieces of folded paper between the insert and the door trim itself, hence making a more snug fit. Have other people had this problem? Thanks in advance
Old 12-21-2004, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 300E
I had that problem with one side in the back of my '91 300e....originally i wedged paper like you did behind the wood trim, but after a while it settles in and doesn't work...so while I am getting the accident work done on the car the body shop guy said he'd throw some sort of adhesive behind it to fix the problem....rattled off some number letter combo..didn't know what it was exactly... hopefully that'll work.

That sound was a plastic rattling sound that was increased with higher speed driving or stereo volume.

To find the exact problem I had to have someone drive the car while I sat in the back knocking around.