E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

transmission swap-out + misc oddities.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission swap-out + misc oddities.

I have a euro 1988 300e 6-door. ( Its in the picture thread) It needs a little bit of mechanical attention, mostly suspension bits and motor/tranny mounts. my transmission is starting to slip a tiny bit between 1st and second. A friend has a transmission from a 4-matic ( cant recall the year, early nineties) - is this a swappable item?? I'm guessing no, but I thought I'd ask you all here.

there are a couple of electrical gremlins as well- no dash lights at all, and
my idle control seems to be all over the place. it seems to rev quite high (1500 or so) for a while, then it goes up and down a bit... but in general seems quite high. - there is also a strange squeak (sounds like a belt, but I can';t seem to find the source) from under the hood, I think it might be the fan clutch?

also, I'm looking for information on the vacuum lock control module that goes under the back seat. I think I need a new one- actually, I'm sure I do. I've come to notice that 124's come in many shapes and sizes, so I have yet to find the correct parts in a scrapyard. - need window switches and other misc parts as well!
Old 01-07-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz
A transmission from a 4matic does not fit your car. The slippage you describe indicates worn K1 and B3 clutches. The most common failure. I´d suggest a rebuild before you damage the B3 piston and/or the planetary gearsets.
Regarding the dashlights, you need to remove the dash and inspect the rheostat solderings.
Check the idle speed stabilizer regarding your idle speed fluctuations. It´s under the air filter housing. Try knocking it with a small mallet and see if that makes a difference. If so, it´s most likely stuck.
The central door locking vacuum pump under the rear seat is the same for all 124 models, except the T and C models which have different ones, I believe.

Regards,

Last edited by 124-Fan; 01-07-2005 at 05:57 PM.