E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

E320 Coupe; driver side wind noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Coupe; driver side wind noise

Can anyone help me out here?

Driver side door gasket, right at the top is pulled apart about 2 cm. Just enough to let wind noise in, and at the car wash when jets hit side, couple drops of h20 enter through the crack.

~ $$ to replace entire seal? Is it easy to replace?
~ Any tricks to tighten it back up? I tried pulling it back with needlenose pliers, didn't want to rip the rubber, and it wouldn't budge anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by NorthRiverMB; 01-10-2005 at 11:15 PM. Reason: na
Old 01-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Not 100% sure which bit you mean. I assume you mean the very top window rubber seal where the front and rear windows meet. If this is the case then there is a gap by design but I'm not sure that **** as big as 20cm. The replacement is easy but costly at about $140 per side.

First, I'd start looking at your glass/door alignment. Another source of noise is the little triangular seal in the door jam that tends to disintigrate over time.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Mercedes Benz
You might just need to adjust the door height and/or the window positioning in the door frame. I had a similar problem in my car, not as much though.
-When closing the door, before the lock engages, look at the door height vs. the body. See if it is lower, and correct as needed by adjusting the hinges.
-In order to adjust the window, you must remove the door panel from inside the door and check the window stop screw. The window frame can also be tilted slightly. There are fastening screws at the low end of the window frame. This can be a little tricky, and sometimes require a fair amount of patience before correctly set..