E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

steering and vibration problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 260E
Question steering and vibration problems

Sorry to post again. I've searched through the forums thoroughly but haven't found enough to really help me figure out what the problem could be. Basically, I have an 88 260e and I have somewhat of a virbration/steering problem. At high speeds (60mph +), the car becomes unsteady and has a tendancy to be easily affected by wind and large truck wind trails. I understand it's common to feel this slightly in certain situations but for me, the wind can be calm and I can be 300ft back from a semi and I'll still feel like the car isn't riding steady. It actually almost feels as though I'm taking the steering wheel and jerking it from side to side ever so slightly. When the car is parked or stopped, the wheel feels as though it has an inch or 2 of play (dead zone) where it doesn't seem to be in control. At lower speeds, I feel a vibration which can surge up into the brake and gas pedals as well as the steering wheel. I've seen a couple posts about arm bushings, contoller arms, etc, but I'm not sure if that could be it. Just to rule out what it's not:

- Not an alignment issue, just got one 2 weeks ago
- Not a tire issue, 2 tires replaced in the last month and other tires are good
- Not a wheel balance issue, had them balanced twice in the last 2 months
- Not the power steering fluid level, fluid is at the correct point

If anyone could shed any light on what this could be or any other ideas. I've never taken this car to a dealer before because I'm worried about getting taken to the cleaners like some have said on here. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 c320 - 2002 ml55 - 2011 c300 - 2014 slk350 - 2015 cla45
im not sure... just throwing somethings out there....

how about checking the:

steering column damper for the steering wheel shaking/vibration....

as well as the steering linkage...

hopefully some of you other guys could confirm or rule out some of my suggestions...

-carino
Old 01-14-2005, 03:54 PM

1988 260E
Thanks for your reply (I'll take any ideas). Do you or anyone know where I could find the steering damper or linkage? I know where the PS fluid resovoir is, but as for the rest of the system, you've got me.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 88MB260E
Thanks for your reply (I'll take any ideas). Do you or anyone know where I could find the steering damper or linkage? I know where the PS fluid resovoir is, but as for the rest of the system, you've got me.

find as in buy.... or where its located on the car?

as far as buy... ebay....

as far as find... im not sure....

as far as the linkage and dampers are concerned... i took the my car to a little mom and pops autoshop to get Missouri state inspection for tags and they diagnosed the probs... i didnt notice any problems (b/c i havent been driving the car alot) but they showed me and the steering wheel did have a lot of le-way (is that spelled correct?) when turning the wheel to the left and the right....

i took the car to get fixed at dealer and they told me it also needed a steering damper.... considering ive owned the car since new... and it had not had either of the 2 items fixed before (center drag link.. steering like or what ever you call it and the steering damper) i figured they were not pulling my leg and i let them fix that as well...

my cars getting detailed right now and the repair ticket is in it... but when i pick up later i will post what it cost me w/ parts and laber at an MB dealer to fix it... Just to give you a ballpark figure if these two things are the problem....
Old 01-15-2005, 02:00 PM

1988 260E
Yes. "Where" as in under the hood. I can spot some things, but not in this case. Also, there aren't many Mecedes repair shops in town. Would a mom and pop shop be a much better choice than a dealer? Thanks for checking your repair ticket, CharlesCarino. Any other ideas from anybody else are still more than welcome. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:13 PM

1988 260E
Does anyone else have any ideas or similar experiences? Do I take it to a dealer or local shop? Any cost ideas? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 88MB260E
Does anyone else have any ideas or similar experiences? Do I take it to a dealer or local shop? Any cost ideas? Thanks.

so its taken me soo long... ive been studying for an endocrine test....

anyways... im still hunting for the actual reciept. all in all it cost me around 700ish that trip to the dealer. i believe those are the only 2 things they did.... i dont know how much other dealers charger for an hour of service.. but here in kc both dealers charge 95 bucks.

so depending on your dealers hourly servce rates.. this should be a good ballpark figure.

those 2 things i probably could have got done at the mom and pop shop that diagnosised the problem. they actually took the time and showed me what was wrong with it... which impressed me... but the down side of it was that they had to order the parts... which would have taken them 3 days to get..

an incentive for me to take the car to the dealer is that they ordered the part that day and had it in the next morning... plus... i got to drive one of their benzs for the day (free loaners)......

-carino
Old 01-19-2005, 12:57 PM

1988 260E
Haha. I understand the studying fun - still doing that myself. Thanks for the info. I'll probably try and get it by a dealer then and at least see if they can diagnose it so that I have an idea of what I should do about it. Thanks again and if anyone else has any info, I'd still appreciate that.