E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

EcoTek on 98 E430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E430
EcoTek on 98 E430

Whelp. I have since put a whole tank of 92 octane through with the EcoTek. I'm pretty impress with the outcome. Mind you, my E430 is 98, which is about 4 years old.

I put a dual setup of Ecotek valve last week Monday. And I have since driven a full tank of gas with it. The installation took no longer than an hour. The plastic hose gave me a little problem, but once I figure how to use it to my advantage the setup and tuning of the Ecotek valve was done in minutes.

When I first drove the car, with the Ecotek, I didn't notice anything different with the car. Except for the bubbling, and squeeching of the valve. Alot of the Ecotek users said that they immediately saw/felt a quicker respond in the low-end. I didn't see it. Instead when I took my car on the freeway, it seem to have gotten a bit quicker in the mid-range and upper-range. So I was pretty happy. Now for the real test. And that was to see if I get extra mpg!

When I first filled up, I put in exactly 20.3 gallons at the pump. Today I filled it at 20.1. My final Mileage? 422 miles on the tank! I was quite impress. Normally, prior to the installation the most I would get was around 320-350. I usually don't get this type of mileage, unless I take the car for a trip to San Francisco or Las Vegas. Just normal Los Angeles Freeway traffic and crowded surface street, I got 422! I am quite shock. I guess it does do what it supposed to do. NOTE: This is done on my normal driving style, which had some pedal to the metal scenarios, some hole shots from a stop light, and few other "thing" . The A/C was on 98% of the time. I tried to make it as "normal" as possible.

Of course all this must have a down side. And there is....my wife even notice it. It was the squeeching and the bubbling noise the valve made. Since I had the valve installed near the firewall, the noise was apparent in the cabin. Ecotek does offer a filter/silencer for their valve, this might make them a bit quieter. I will probably try those filters on my wife's car.

My final thoughts. If you are on the fuel conservation side of things, this little unit might make it worth while. There isn't any "performance" gain as I can see or fell, so all you power buff head will probably have no need for this.

Final note, the Ecotek valve itself works on a 2.6l or smaller engine, anything higher requires you to have 2.

You can find more info at http://www.ecotekplc.co.uk

Last edited by Turbo][; 06-12-2002 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:08 PM

98 E430
Update

Here is an update. I just gone through a 2nd tank with the Ecotek, and it's getting pretty consistent

This time I filled up at 19.3, and I got 419.2 miles. It looks as though this thing is pretty good. Will do a final count on the 3rd tank.

Three times a charm!
Old 06-16-2002, 11:11 PM

95 Mercedes C280
Would the Ecoteck setup be bad for turbocharged systems or those with an aftermarket chip? I just got 2 EcoTecks for my 95 C280 but have yet to install them. I want to be sure that it won't lean out the fuel which would be bad b/c of my chip and so to be turbos.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:30 PM

98 E430
From the post of others that have turbocharged cars, the effect is more noticeable than NA cars. So I have read
Old 06-20-2002, 05:52 AM

Works fine on both Turbo and NA - when the engine is on boost the Ecotek device actually shuts down but even so it significantly improves pre boost performance.

Questions answered here: http://www.ecotekplc.com/faqs.htm
Old 06-24-2002, 09:41 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
Turbo][,

can you post pictures of the install? I'd like to do it to my E430 and CLK55 but want to make a "stealth" setup or maybe replace a whole section of tubing that I can just put back on before the scheduled "A" or "B" service at the stealership.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2002, 01:49 AM

You should contact: ecotek.help@virgin.net they should be able to sort something out.